This morning I slipped on my Yaktraks and made the slippery trek down to the plaza. My plan was to stay in town and hit the museums. They don't open until ten so I walked around and windowshopped. Turns out that four of the museums are closed on Monday. Pblt.
I did go to the Georgia O'Keefe gallery and joined in on the tour. The only O'Keefe's I am familair with are some her flowers, but she LOVED NM and has done many many abstracts and landscapes and skulls and flowers from this area. It was really interesting to go on the docent-lead tour to learn some of her background and how it influenced her work. For example, she hated being known as a female painter and wanted to just be a painter. Also her husband, a famous photographer and art dealer told her she needed to use oils to be more recognized as an artist (instead of watercolors), but her oil painting are very different from most oil paintings bc they dont have layers and layers of paint... bc she never made mistakes, so she never needed to layer to hide anything.
Tomorrow I am going to start my day at Bandelier National Monument, then go to Los Alamos, and Chimayo before heading back to Santa Fe to try to see those museums when they might actually be open.
she made no mistakes? that is amazing.
ReplyDelete