Saturday, March 29

Last stop at the Tiny Diny

On my last morning with Dawn we went to the Tiny Diny one more time for breakfast. I was greeted once more by my new found friends and once again had delicious biscuits and gravy. The bad news - they were out of the bread pudding I had heard would knock by socks off. Too bad. Dawn and I said our farewells and I got on the road to Atlanta.

Looking at the map, there is now a lot in between. Kind of like driving between Richmond and Charlottesville. Lots of trees, not a lot of exits, not a lot of development.

I made only one stop in Sylacauga, Al. I had lunch at one of the top 100 places and then went to the Blue Bell Ice Cream factory. They offer tours before noon, but I was too late for one of those. I enjoyed the views of the factory from the large windows and marveled at the vast amounts of ice cream tubs being churned out. I ordered two scoops - moo-lenium crunch and cake batter (my favorite) and was sweetly surprised by the one dollar price. What a bargain. I can't get bluebell ice cream in VA, it is mostly a southern chain and I often lament the fact the only place I can get cake batter ice cream is expensive places like coldstone and far away places like Shirley, NY.

After that I headed north and east to Atlanta. I went through the town of Talledega, which incidentally is not close to the super speedway. I had no problems finding my hostel or traveling through city traffic. The hostel used to be a brothel, then a boardinghouse before becoming a hostel. It is an old three story building sort of out of place in town with antique furniture and wood floors. My favorite place was the third floor porch to relax.

1 comment:

  1. third floor porch...in a city...where else? how many of the 100 did you manage to get to?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!