Wednesday, March 5

museum day

I started my day at the bustling Santa Fe Baking Company where I had gotten my breakfast to go yesterday. I discussed politics with an older man with a very bushy long beard and then we talked traveling and I went on my way.

My first stop was Jackalope - a huge store that carries everything from furniture to rugs to jewelry to chiles. Very strange. And I found a whole shelf of stuffed jackalopes. I did take a photo - they were kind of cute. It was interesting wander.

Museum Hill has four museums on it. I bought the museum pass and went to two of the three participating museums. One was on Native American history and art and the other was a museum of folk art that had a really interesting textiles exhibit. There was room packed with dolls and figures from different worldy locations. Very overwhelming in places. I didn't realize that I could go the Spanish art museum with my pass so I missed it.

I went down to the plaza and went in the Museum of Fine Arts to see more Georgia O'Keefe and some strange modern art. I learned when I got home that three of those modern art exhibits were created here in the garage at Amanda and Eric's Santa Fe house when she stayed with them. And her photo is on the fridge. Interesting. I also went to the Governor's Palace and learned the history of New Mexico and Santa Fe.

After I was museumed-out, I still went to go see more art by walking up Canyon Road which is lined with galleries and more galleries. I didn't do much except take photos with some of the sculptures - a lady gave me a thumbs up when she saw me posing with the statues.

I was pretty cold bc I didnt have on long sleeves and the snow storm was brewing. I went home and read some of my book and waited for Amanda to come home. We went out for green chile and posole. Now we are home talking with Eric and his friend and having a big discussion about couchsurfing and eating - raw food vs vegan vs something else, based on this book that they have read and I will read called the Omnivore's Dilemna.

And in case you were wondering, it is snowing again. You can stand outside and see the snow falling in three directions (much like you can see rain in the distant). It has been snowing in the direction I am going since midday. It is snowing in TEXAS (sheesh, I thought it never snowed in Texas) and my couchsurfing hosts are out of town for a death in the family. So my plans for the next day are totally fluid.

2 comments:

  1. you needed to have karrie in on that discussion on eating...and you can discuss a diverse choice with her after you read that book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omnivore's Dilemma is so good! I highly recommend it too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!