Friday, March 14

Pi Day - not as planned

I found Jones Cafe in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. It had burned down. I kept travelling through Arkansas on some back highway through field after field after field and arrived in Louisiana. I visited long enough to take a photo at the visitor center and pick up some information and departed for Mississippi. Again I stopped at the visitor center for photos and info, but this time I stayed a bit longer... only a few hours though. I headed through Natchez Trace National Park which is kind of like a highway that goes from Memphis, Tennesee to Natchez, Mississippi. I really enjoyed the green grass, budding trees, and flowering shrubs. Spring has sprung in Miss. There was no one on the highway, but probably bc the speed limit is only 50. I motored through to Natchez and searched for Mammy's Cupboard, shaped like a mammy (to me that meant it would be shaped like Aunt Jemimia, but I was unsure). I did find it, and it is shaped like a mammy in a pink dress, but it was closed. There were no hours posted so I dont know when it closed that day (is 5pm really too late?). Sigh. I think I may have to give up on the pie book. Pietown has been the only hit of many misses.

Determined to share pi day with Sunshine when I arrived in Baton Rouge, I stopped at the Chevron. It was a pie mecca. They had five different flavors of moon pies, oatmeal cream pies, raisin creme pies, mini pecan pies, mini coconut pies, mini fruit pies, and offbrand marshmellow pies too. I settled on two moon pies, an oatmeal cream pie, and two fruit pies from the counter bc they were homemade.

I arrived at Sunshine's after mishaps and misdirection and shared my pies with her for pi day. My mini pie ended up being moldy when I opened it (obviously not of the 100 year shelf life like a moon pie) which was funny. And we shared the other pies.

Not what I had planned, but not too bad.

2 comments:

  1. yummy. oatmeal creme pies are my FAVORITE. somehow i doubt they are gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahahahahaha. i can't wait to share with my friends that you are searching for places that have burned down. good to know that a "pie mecca" is only as far away as the nearest convenience store. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!