Thursday, March 20

Munchies in Mobile

This morning Dawn and I went to IHOP to have Who-cakes, as in Horton Hears a Who. They were hilarious - pancakes drenched in pink and blue pastel syrup (boysenberry nand blueberry) and multi-colored chocolate pieces served with 'green eggs' (scrambled eggs with spinach in them) and ham. Hilarious. As Dawn and I were snapping some photos, the old guy diagonal from me asked "aren't you too old for that?" My reply, "Never."

After IHOP, we attempted to find the Botanical Garden, but were unsuccessful bc the road name changes and the bridge is out anyway. Dawn ran out of time so she went to work, leaving me to find and wander the botanical gardens alone. Really there is nothing better than walking around a garden on a lovely spring day when all the flowers are blooming (even if it is super small). After that, I wandered around the art museum next door. My favorite exhibit was a guy who carved wooden vegetables as table legs, boxes. etc. There were heaps of carrots that reminded me of Karrie.

I went downtown and wandered around. My main goal was from this fantastic brochure I picked up in the visitor's center called "100 dishes to eat in Alabama before you die." Last night Dawn, Adam, and I browsed through it and thought about the great food. This morning I looked at it again and started to figure out where some of the places were - most of them are super far away, but some of them are not. Anyway, back to downtown Mobile. I grilled the ladies at the visitor's center about some locations and then started my walk. I didn't really feel like going in any of the museums so I just walked around. I tried the fudge brownies at Pollman's bakery, savored a few truffles from Three George's, and cooled of with some strawberry iced tea from a Spot of Tea. I also walked in a few shops and galleries and enjoyed the sunshine from a bench in the park.

On my way out of downtown, I searched for the Tiny Diny. I found it and it looked closed (of course! bc I was there to get PIE). The hours said it should be open so I was staring at the door confused and a lady came out and asked me if I needed some help. I told her I was just there for a piece of coconut cream pie. She let me in to get some pie! I talked to her, the lady who owned the place (78 years old) and her daughter for like twenty minutes. The first thing she did was bring me a spoonful of coconut cream pie and watched me eat it. It was good. Then I told her about the brochure and she didn't know anything about it (no one I talked today did which to me is totally weird). Then they gave me a bite of some lovely lemon dessert (and watched me eat it) and then convinced me I needed to come back for breakfast and for the lemon melt dessert. OK. It was hard for me to talk my way out, I said goodbye like three times. But I eventually left and came back to talk to Adam and watch Mean Girls (which I am finding very funny). Adam is boiling eggs so we can dye them later for easter (YAY).

By the way I also saw four of the other places I should eat in Mobile Alabama before I die, but I wasn't hungry for a hot dog (I was stuffed with who-cakes), feeling like eating oysters, or trying weiner schnitzel. The other was a bbq place that I didn't realize was on the list. I am going to try a few more tomorrow - bc I have to try them before I die... (is everyone trying to capitalize on that awful book about all the places in the world you should see? The reason I think it is awful is bc it assumes that you are a fat american that needs to be pampered and stay in fancy hotels to go see fabulous scenic OUTSIDE wonders. I am still using it as a checklist though... hypocrite.)

1 comment:

  1. maybe you need to write..."these are the places i have seen before i died"...with some suggestions to others...are any of the places you seen in that book? i actually think places you should EAT sounds better anyway!

    i think i need to get some Who-cakes...i will put that on my list!

    someday, maybe we will be the center of the cuckoo botanical gardens...flowers blooming like crazy at home! i miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!