altitude adjustment is no joke. as A has said a few times 'it's like being drunk, but not pleasant.' i think it's like a hangover headache &wonder why I never seemed to have a problem before. Humphrey's Peak is over 12600ft, and isn't that hard, but is substantial in terms of elevation. Bc I was awake at 6 we got an early start. The trail winds thru aspens& pines before giving way to 'tundra' with small shrubs &lichens and finally bare lava rock. The trail was superdusty &I don't think I have ever been so dirty. There were several false summits -where you think you're near the top &you turn the corner &it is even higher, but plodding along &taking many breaks we eventually reached the summit. It would have not been possible without oreos at the 4th fake top. Our legs felt heavy & our hearts were racing trying to get O2 to muscles so we were slow and it was hard going. But we made it! And are feeling better now that we are lower- more hikes for us!
nice job!
ReplyDelete