Wednesday, October 8

Hot water!

So... I talked to the band teacher on Monday just to double check on some kids I have that leave class early just about every day to go get theri instruments and to then go to marching band practice. I have been meaning to check on this for a while, but lets face it, though it annoys me, I forgot, and I have no idea who the band teacher is or where the band room is. So I caught up with her after the faculty meeting on Monday.

She told me that there was no reason for the students to leave early and that she hadnt even seen them come in to get their instruments for like a month. I was hot. Fine kids try to get away with things, but I like to think that they dont try to get away with them with me. Plus then it becomes a safety issue... if no one can find them then it is my fault.

So on Tuesday I held them after class and told them what I had been told and dealt out punishment. They left four minutes early for a nine-weeks, they can stay one minute after for a nine weeks. And while they are staying they can do what I do which is clean up papers on the floor and stack the rest of the chairs. There was some talkign between these students but no comments made directly to me.

Fast-forward 40 minutes... I am rushing trying to get to the FREE aerobics class (hilarious and in an upcoming post) and I get paged that I have a phone call. Great. I grab a paper plate and a pen and rush to the faculty room to take this call (I am so professional writing my notes on paper plates - my chemistry teacher would be so proud. i took all my notes for her class on papertowels). It was a mother of one the students. She said that her son was upset and wouldnt talk to her and she wanted to know what was going on. She was pleasant and not angry, just concerned. I told her my side of the story. I told her I would double check with the band teacher. She said she would check with him bc if he was lying that was a serious offense. Other teachers who overheard the conversation thought it went really well and that I sounded very professional. Off to aerobics. I did email the band teacher to let her know what was going on.

I checked my email in the morning and I have two emails from other parents, both quite long and one in large red lettering.
I want to say that ** is more upset that his integrity is in question here. He takes much pride in always doing "the right thing" and being an upstanding person. I think his reputation speaks for itself. I can assure you that if he was given the privilege to leave class 5 minutes early to get his instrument for band practice, he would appreciate that and not take advantage of it by roaming the halls, socializing or doing anything thing of the like. He adamently told me that he has only NOT gone to the band room to get his instrument on 2 occasions this year. Of course he does not go on Mondays because he does not have band practice on those days. He assured me that he has gone in to get his instrument and ** hasn't even known he was there (working w/ another student, etc.). I have no reason not to believe **. I think this whole episode may be a complete misunderstanding.

And one from the band teacher that said maybe she hadnt seen them bc she was busy with her fifth period students and the door was unlcoked so it was possible for them to come in and out without her noticing. Then they came and found me in the library to let me know I had a parent to meet with. at least i was dressed pretty professionaly today!)Her daughter has some paperwork, but has always been an angel, but now thought her first and fifth period teachers hated her and refused to come to school. Met with guidance counselor, met with band teacher, guidance counselor met with parent, band teacher met with parent, band teacher and I met with parent. Things seemed to go smoothly. She was goign to try to get her daughter to come to school... could we write apology letters to the daughter? I actually had no problem with this since I thought she deserved one. I then responded to two other concerned parent emails and barely made it to class on time.

today we were in the computer lab so that the advanced kids could work on their science fair stuff. I took my regular kids to to work on scientific method and do an online experiment... and then we all played viral vinnie's gut instinct against each other. this game makes me laugh... and the kids like it... and they care sort of practicing for the benchmark... so i tell myself it is ok. what makes it great for class is they are all competing against each other for the fastest, and the most correct.

Second and third go by, i eat lunch. As lunch is ending, the principal comes to find me to let me know that I need to go to the office for a meeting. I said oh, another parent. he said nope a student. So i went. The secretaries were all like what did you do to this girl. i am going to have whip you with my belt... what did i do?

well the girl was there with the counselor and talking and upset looking, but only marginally crying. so we talked and i told her i wasnt mad at her and that i really liked her a student and blah blah blah... all true things... but what is middle school doing to me. so she calmed down and decided to go to class. she was fine when she came to fifth period.

i rushed back to fourth period to teach my class... 'teach.' they loved the periodic table i put together with their names. :) and they played viral vinny for 25 minutes... and even tried doing the math version.

fifth period went fine. i met with the students in question again... and told them i had acted on misinformation and that i apologized and blah blah blah. i think we are all good.

talked to the counselor after school and apparently her mom dragged her to school screaming I AM NOT GOING IN THERE... I DONT WANT TO BE HERE... THEY ALL HATE ME... and they physically dragged her in to an office and shut the door. That is why the secretaries were giving me a hard time. I probably was a horrible person in their eyes. and who knew that such a sweet quiet on top of it girl really did deserve all those papers in her files?

and really none of this is my fault. but i think i handled it really well. The end of the nine weeks is friday... maybe i can survive in a middle school world. (

4 comments:

  1. What a total nightmare! I would be crushed for weeks by a day like that, but you seem to be taking it in stride, and I think you handled it really well. I really admire you for teaching middle school - it seems like a hugely daunting task to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS is the primary difference between middle and high school... they cry home to their parents and don't handle the tough love very well. you really are AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good freakin' god. i want to kill myself just from READING that. maybe the TBA aerobics post will clear up why you are still breathing ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you guys and then some. I'd like to know when school counselors, parents, and kids are actually going to take responsibility for their own actions? Stop being so afraid of hurting someone's feelings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!