Tuesday, October 21

Aerobics and other Excercise.

Step together! We're moving on four!

SO the LCEA (louisa county educators assoication) got a grant for a local aerobics instructor to offer a free class at the middle school. I have been going consistently for about 2 and half weeks (5 classes). First of all, I am not really coordinated enough for aerobics - energetic and fit enough - yes... but not really coordinated. By the time I figure out what we are doing and start to get the hang of it - the moves change. Bonnie, Sarah and I cackle hysterically and figure as long as we are moving, it must be doing us some good.

I like going bc it is afterschool and in my building and if I forget, which most of the time I am not paying attention to the clock, I can hear it faintly down the hallway and I rush around get ready and show up late - but at least I am exercising. (Tuesday is Biggest Loser Night). Most of the time I do all the 'hihg impact' moves not only bc i can handle them, but because they take less coordination. Somehow it is easier for me to jump and down and kick my legs out then step together and do it... and when you ahve to double step... nevermind! I never remember and so it would be interesting to count the uneveness of the right side vs the left side.

I ran the Chocolate Chase on Saturday in Charlottesville. It was a 5K (3.2 miles). This was my first race since high school. First of all I got there way too early and I had an hour to waste time and pretend to be psyching myself up. Really what ahppened is I walked around and aropund and areound and stretched and stretched and peed a hundred million times. If there was a peeing competition, surely I would win. Seriosuly. Every 15 minutes I really had to go.

When we were lining up for the race - or rather herding together) I kind of went towards the back not really knowing wha tmy speed was going to be versus everyone else. At this point I also realized that I wasnt sure how long the race was so how fast should I run? The race started all downhill and I have a superlong downhill stride. I should hve started way closer to the front bc I spent the first ten minutes dodging around tightly packed people who were going downhill way slower than me.

It was a very hilly course, and I will admit I walked to portions of it... but I was speed walking and reenergizing to run the rest of the way up the hill. Plus I was passing encouragement to everyone around me. Its just what I do. I had been following this old lady pretty much the whole way and I passed her in the last half mile (there was a sign) and I thanked her for encouraging me. When we were done and turning in our finish spots she told me if I held her place she's go get me a cup of water - and the she brought me a bagel. The race was sponsored by Panera - I will take a bagel over a candy bar any day - I love carbs! I finished number 109 of about 300. I have no idea what my time was. Nevermind - if I check my email - I finished in 30:14 and the old lady I was following was 71! She kicks butt! 5 people finished in less than twenty minutes! WHOA.

One of the cool things about the chocolate chase - was at the end they had lots of chocolate milk available - and I just read on John's Blog about how chocolate milk is the best thing to drink after a race - and this boston marathon advice. So I had my chocolate milk and a bagel and two bananas and went on my merry sweaty smelly way.

And last but not least - good excercise is picking multicolored carrrots with your family in the dark and laughing hysterically.

And then playfully teasing your orange sister... with a carrot headdress.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for updating about your race - I loved reading about it! 30:14 is a very respectable time and reminds me of my first 5k. I think I finished in about 33 minutes, and the only person behind me (but only barely) was Louise Martin, the infamous "Silver Fox," who ran (if she is not still running) well into her 80's. Road races are good times and full of nice people, and I hope you do more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the running will keep you fit for chocolate...and areobics will keep you laughing...what more do you need? keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you'll be surprised if you keep going to aerobics at how much you pick up. slowly. over time. not caring if you mess up is definitely the key.

    i am familiar with that peeing 500 x before a race. the ones i've done are usually so big, i pee and then get right back in line because by the time i get to the front i'll have to go again!

    YAY chocolate milk. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!