Aaron really knew the trails through Prescott National Forest so after dropping my pass on the dash, we headed out for a quick jaunt. I think that most people don't appreciate the chaparral ecosystem in this area, but I like it. Don't think I could live in, but it's a nice change to see prickly pears interspersed with junipers and ponderosa pines.Aaron was really patient while I took a million photos, but he likes the century plant too. Kelley and Aaron used a gold-spray-painted stalk as their Christmas tree last winter.
The century plant has a bit of a misnomer because it does not live for a hundred years. It's a type of agave that lives for about ten years, but only lives once in its life and then withers and dies. It does send out some runners so new plants grow nearby.
I got a huge star like the size of a quarter in my windshield coming on I-40 through Texas. It cracked really loudly and looked like it had two impact points so I thought I should take care of it. A quick call to mom to get the number, a call to them, a call to the glass insurance people, and a connection to a local glass shop and off I went.
Billy at Bennett's glass did not think he could repair the star because it was too big and the double impact, but he tried. He explained the whole process to me as he worked on my glass (because I asked a million questions). It didn't work the first time, but after he tried to book me an appointment the next day and I frowned and said I was going to California, he tried to superheat it and it took. He also sealed some of the other nicks in my glass, clearly impressed that after 140,000 miles I still had the original windshield. I wish I had taken a photo of it because now it is hardly noticeable! I am on vigilant alert though in case it is not fixed and starts to spread.
Next I headed to the post office to mail a letter and then to the beauty school for a five dollar hair cut. Joenna was recomended by Kelley, but has not had a lot of experience with short hair. I threw her off guard because I was not picky and was going to let her do her thing, but she got some pointers from the head instructor lady and it turned out really nice.
and your journey begins....joanne is thrilled. and i am in awe of all you cram into a day or two.
ReplyDeleteThe blooming century plants are really pretty! I'm also impressed you have you're original windshield, I'm on my 3rd!
ReplyDelete