Sunday, June 6

eating reading and being productive

Staying at Karrie's is very relaxing for me. And I am very productive... because I am away from all the things that can distract me (except facebook) and can only work on what I bring with me. I was behind in my Biological Perspectives class, but I watched four lectures in one day to catch up and have almost caught up on all the reading (Microbe Hunters is actually an interesting read).

I have also read a variety of travel books (South Dakota, Oregon, Yellowstone, Redwoods, National Parks West, Roadtrip USA, and I think one other), marked up my atlas, made a plan, and made some reservations.

I also have eaten my weight in food. Donuts withstanding, everything else has been homemade by Karrie, James, or Dad. I mostly keep out of the way and just eat up.

Last night we made sushi (at my request) and I recommend it to everyone because it is a lot of fun. According to Karrie, there is very little cooking required, really just cooking the rice. Most of it is chopping things and getting organized.

Then there is the play by play description about what you are doing as you roll your own sushi, bantering about how that will never close, and arguing about the perfect amount of rice. Blowouts do occur, but even if it doesn't look pretty, it still tastes good.

This morning Karrie made biscuits and gravy (best ever) with two types of biscuits - sourdough and regular. She wasn't sure that sourdough biscuits would turn out alright, but they are awesome - kinda like english muffins. Not sure what's on the agenda for later - but I have to eat up because I am heading home tomorrow to meet David and Sunshine and then onward to New Jersey.

1 comment:

  1. wow...memories...i had sourdough starter for YEARS....way back when...back when I cooked....always made good stuff for me! congrats to the breadmakers....i still rely on Doris Hicks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!