Tuesday, June 1

Memorial Day Weekend

Memorial Day Weekend feels like it started early for me - possibly because of school ending on Wednesday, a faculty picnic, and cleaning of the prep room and going out on a science department lunch date.

Friday afternoon I left school to go home and bake. I needed sweets for dance practice on Friday and for the ball on Saturday, plus Aaron and Dad were on their way to my apartment to meet and then go get dinner and both me and my apartment needed to be presentable.

With the cake in the oven, Dad arrived together we collaborated on just how to make the peanut butter oatmeal cookies I decided I wanted to make (because my stolen internet was not working). Aaron arrived in time for dinner because he literally interpreted my text message about meeting for dinner and Dad gave him a hard time about it. After a few cold ones, conversation, and a couple dozen peanut butter oatmeal cookies, it was off to Roma's for dinner. I had thought Obrigado, but they were closed for a private function. I think the meeting between Dad and Aaron went well - Dad has not offered any negative feedback and Aaron has not run away.

After dinner Aaron joined me for dance practice on the Harkrader's porch - Aaron's first introduction to colonial dancing. He was pretty game for such an obscure hobby and his declaration of two left feet and being uncoordinated. He was game for about every other dance, but turn out was excellent as well because of the impending ball so I had plenty of other dance partners (all boys under 14 - Ben is my favorite and he is 10). I think Aaron had a good time, but was not happy with how he felt he was unable to master the steps. I told him mastering the steps was not required... and that no one really has the dances memorized... that's why there is a caller, but it took him a while to abandon his perceived need to be excellent right at the get go. On the way home, we stopped at Mom's house to grab a fan and Mom was home and awake so Aaron got to meet her too (and Lightning).

Saturday started slow with many cups of coffee, homemade strawberry bread, and flipping through travel books. We then went to the Renaissance Fair at Lake Anna Winery because Dan had given me tickets for my birthday and because I had never been before. It was an interesting experience. Aaron definitely got picked on a bit by Dan and we were called to be witnesses at a wedding during the Court of Something-er-other. We enjoyed a funnel cake for lunch and the ambiance of the festivities. I really enjoyed the Shakespeare troop that did any Shakespeare play in three acts in about five minutes or less.

After leaving the Faire, it was time to get ready for the Cuckoo Colonial Ball held annually at the Harkrader's plantation home of Glen Beau over Memorial Day Weekend. This is one of my favorite balls because it is laid back and outside (though it is HOT). Aaron was surprised that I gave him an option of going (instead of making him go) and opted to stay home and work on his thesis instead of attending. I understand that after one night of dance practice he might not be ready to dance again straight-away. This is a photo of Jerry (our caller), Hannah (a former student), and myself before the ball officially began.

All my little buddies were pretty happy that Aaron wasn't there, and I had no shortage of dance partners (even if most of them are short and younger than me). I only sat out once - and that was for the opening dance (the minuet) which is not really fun... and only like ten pairs did it. After that I danced them all and kept the "grass" dancers going by helping call directions.

At the Cuckoo Ball, there are three places to dance - on the porch, the most serious of dancers - on the patio, other formal dancers - and the grass - mostly the kids, the kid at heart, and those that don't care to be too formal. Not that the grass dancers don't know what they are doing, we just don't care too much if we mess up or if we embellish some of the dances. It's more fun dancing on the grass... I've tried all the places and the grass is the best. Anyway. Shortly before 1230 am I returned home to find Aaron still awake after a productive evening of research and writing. He should have come... but maybe next time.

The next day, we got up earlyish and headed off to the book fair. We found some useful books for the upcoming road trip and some other good deals. Then it was off to MrJ's for bagels and on to Skyline Drive for one of my favorite hikes on the Doyle's River Trail. It was a great day for hiking and Aaron appreciated my choice of trails. After dinner and ice cream it was time to head home and say goodbye to Aaron... I'll see him next when he meets me in New Jersey for Kreuz's wedding (like a week and change).

3 comments:

  1. Keegan is so the same way about dancing - he gets so frustrated that he can't get it right away. Maybe it is a guy thing.

    Have a great time on your road trip! And keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i bet aaron is waiting for the williamsburg ball. let me know if i need to sew an "outfit" for him :-)

    i am glad i was half asleep when i met aaron...did not realize he had just gone thru the scrutiny of your dad! hopefully, i was a welcome (dull) surprise to him!

    and...it is about time you experienced the renaissance fair...how long have you lived here and you never went? shame on you...but good for you now!

    keep summering on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you guys had a great time! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures. =D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!