So I (we) are slowly getting ready for the big road trip. I am probably more ready than I think, but it still seems like there is a lot that still needs to get done before Sunday.
My books are read, marked, and in a box ready to go. My map is highlighted. I have two couchsurfing hosts lined up and a few reservations made at the major parks. A lot of it is up in the air... but I am super-excited.
I played with my new headlamp and did my dishes in the dark, as well as other assorted everyday tasks that seem much more exciting by the light of a head lamp. (The headlamp is to help me read my textbooks and do my homework... and bc sometimes its difficult to hold a flashlight and do something at the same time.) I also made sure I knew how to operate my new campstove and tested out the travel boggle game. Aaron and I are ready for lull times and rainy days with challenging games of boggle, rummikub, cribbage, and scrabble. Yes... dorkiness is key.
I cleaned my car out and got rid of all the normal stuff that I carry around that I probably won't need anywhere but when I am home in VA, you know like hiking books for Shenandoah and directions to Karrie's house, as well as my grocery bags, blankets, etc. I even shoved some of my tire changing stuff back under the floor into the well where it should have been.
On my way back down to the car I deposited the first load - air mattress, tent, sleeping bag, and other assorted things. The only other thing that is in the car right now (besides the inevitable pile of shoes behind my seat (pared down to necessary ones)) is Aaron's box.
Aaron is already packed. Lucky him, course he plans ahead. Aaron is going to fly out and meet me on the 2nd of July in Portland, but we thought it would be easier if I had most of his stuff already in the car so he wouldn't have to tote it on the airplane, and I'm leaving Sunday. I limited him to one paperbox for clothes and I think he put some other stuff in there, but it is pretty much full. Maybe he's bringing too many black tshirts, but it's his box. I tried to limit my comments about what he was packing, listed off all the things he should have included so that he didn't forget anything (bathing suit, rain coat), and put the box in my car.
My own box is on the floor of my closet and currently overflowing. I did the initial pack so I am ready to pare it down, but I have a difficult time limiting my wardrobe when I am used to having so many choices... plus "it is important to look cute at all times" is a Jancaitis mantra.
So sometime in the next three days I will think of all the other things that need to get packed, pare down my box, visit with Kelley and celebrate the baby on the way, hang out with Aaron, and feel like I am ready to drive high way 40 west west west.
25 More Things
12 years ago
I'm getting excited for you! I think this is going to be an awesome trip!
ReplyDeleteHey, this is Steph (Jerry's kid)! Have a blast on the trip - so are you stopping at some of the same places as the Way Out West crew? Have a blast! road trips rock.
ReplyDelete