My glasses broke on Friday at dance practice. Jerry wanted to try a fancy turn with our group and my glasses got swept off and stepped on. They looked really pitiful and bent, but I bent the arms and the glued and taped the nose bridge. Surprisingly very few of my students (read two) noticed the tape, although I have told some because they keep falling off my face when I look down.
On Tuesday I had a ticket for Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy so I headed into town right after school. On the way I called eye doctors to see if I could get an exam. The school division recently changed health insurance companies and no one takes my new insurance. I called mom to see if she could check a phone number and she called the insurance company found a helpful lady that gave her even more numbers for me to try. These all took my insurance – but didn’t necessarily have an open appointment for right now. I did eventually find one and the doctor was super nice and also explained everything scientifically. My prescription in the end did not change – but at least I could go get new glasses.
I went to Walmart first to see if they still carried my current frame because that would the fastest, cheapest, and easiest fix. They did not. I eventually chose a new burgundy frame and the sales clerk rang up my order. 250. Whoa. And then seven to ten days. I cancelled the order and walked out. That is too long with my precarious taping and it seemed like a lot of money. I went to Lens Crafters because they do lenses in an hour – except on that day. I asked for a ballpark number and she told me 350. Then I went over to Four Eyes, the place, mom had recommended. They let me know that I could get out of there for 65 dollars. What a deal! Except now I was out of time.
I called Dad to let him know that I ran out of time and that I wasn’t going to see him and to double check my directions. I ordered a to-go sandwich and then called him back to double check the directions again. In the end Dad’s right and my right are different forks at the split and I still ended up going the wrong way. Luckily Dad is really familiar with Richmond and coached me street by street and turn by turn through residential Richmond to the Landmark and I was still on time for the performance.
Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy was amazing. It was more acrobatics than story so it was a bit different than the previous Cirque Du Soleil I had seen. They opened with jump roping – but they had performers jumping while in plank position and then double dutching AND jump roping while one person was standing on another’s shoulders and all kinds of other amazing feats. They had the lady lizards that slithered across the floor and then contortioned into all these amazing figures and shapes. It really was an amazing performance.
So that was written at school on Tuesday I think. It is now Sunday. My glasses survived being taped together for a whole week though they were retaped a few times. Mom and I went to town again on Wednesday to take advantage of Baskin Robbins 31 cent scoop night – up to three scoops! First we went and picked out new glasses for me – two pairs with the new lenses for 125! What a bargain compared to Walmart. I picked out a purple pair and a reddish orange pair with the help of mom and a husband who seemed very particular about his wife’s glasses. Then dinner and three dollars and two full bellies of ice cream.
Today I picked up the purple pair of glasses because they were in and they are making me feel woozy. I went back to talk to the lady and she said to give it a few more days and if it was still weird then go back to the doctor.
So now I am more stylish and not taped. And maybe I can see... or maybe I am going to throw up.
Good-Bye, Honeymoon in Korea
13 years ago
Hooray for purple glasses! (Mine are purple too.)
ReplyDeletei've already found a pair of red frames with rhinestones i need ... but not yet made an appointment with the eye doctor. whoops. the tape is hilarious. next time you should try chewing gum.
ReplyDelete