Friday, May 29

Waste and Consumerism and Sadness of American Ways

Take a peek at this web page of art by Chris Jordan. The photography and scale of these art works is amazing. Especially when they are zoomed in to show the details. The fact that a lot of these staggering numbers reveal the wastefulness and consumeristic culture of the US (and the world) makes it very sad.

Running the Numbers: An American Self-Portrait

My favorites are: Cans Seurat, 2007
Depicts 106,000 aluminum cans, the number used in the US every thirty seconds.
~and knowing that most of these will not be recycled...

Barbie Dolls, 2008
Depicts 32,000 Barbies, equal to the number of elective breast augmentation surgeries performed monthly in the US in 2006.
~I am very happy with my small breasts.

3 comments:

  1. AMAZING! I love it when inventive, non-traditional art actually provides visually interest AND meaningful social commentary. I think it would fantastic to see this work in real life. And as someone who has recently resisted some outside pressure to get breast implants, I love the Barbie one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting site...wonder where they got all that stuff to do them...that is a lot of barbie dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's hear it for small breasts! Although moving to Korea has taught me that I am ridiculously tall and have giant freakish feet, it does make me feel like my breasts are normal. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!