Thursday, May 7

end of year state testing

Sometimes I really like 8th graders. Sometimes they really get on my nerves.

Whoever decided that testing was a good idea was a complete idiot. I understand that we need some sort of benchmark or comparison to see that our students are getting the education and knowledge they need, but it really is a ridiculous system. For 8th grade science, they take a sixty question multiple choice test that is cumulative for sixth, seventh, and eighth grade. Why is a cumulative test a good idea? I am held accountable for the questionable education they received over two years ago that I will be lucky if they remember.

And this is not the only test they take. In 8th grade they take four tests total – one for each core. I think in seventh grade they don’t even take one. In sixth grade I think they take two. In high school they have a few they need for core classes – usually no more than three per semester.

Testing days suck. The kids reported to their testing sites in the morning – half of 8th grade. The other half reports to their third period teacher for a half day of time wasting and keeping quiet. I am not sure what their team has planned.

Students take a test on a computer and must be silent until all students have completed testing – as in all students in the entire building that are testing. Think about this. Can you stay silent for four to five hours with the only options of sleeping or reading? It sounds easy enough… and if that’s what you felt like doing it would be easy. But what if that was not what you wanted to do and it was forced upon you? After you already took a long challenging test that you were told was sooooo very important? The whole testing concept is just crap. But even I cannot think of a better way to do it.

My students were very good this morning. They all took their time reading and answering the questions. They were quiet and reading after the reading test. There was a lot of swapping “I Spy” and Waldo books. Some kids slept. It was interminably long, but they were quiet. After the testing session was finished it was time to switch to a new room where we would spend the rest of the day. Our team has a fable lesson planned which involves reading, answering questions, and then watching a movie. Pretty educational, but also engaging and easy enough to keep them quiet. Except for they are done being quiet and are ready to be normal eighth graders and unable to be silent for a second. Which frustrates me. And it shouldn’t. Because if it were me then I would be tired of being quiet too.

So I have tried to breathe and not get mad or frustrated. They are only eighth graders and they like me are tired of being quiet. Plus – lets be realistic – I have the GOOD kids. Imagine how horrible some other people’s lives are during these testing and after-testing sessions? We watched Mulan on Tuesday after reading about the true story of Mulan (it apparently is a real story) and some other Chinese fables. Today we read about bigfoots and sasquatches and we are watching Harry and the Hendersons – a classic that I have not seen.

Good enough, but if I had my choice… we would be outside playing kickball.

1 comment:

  1. you need to call in a bomb threat.

    is harry and the hendersons a sasquatch!?! you must report back to me on this.

    "time wasting and keeping quiet" ... just a normal day at work.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!