Tuesday, April 28

summer sun, seasonal allergies and sinus infection

Since I returned to Virginia from sunny California, I have been having the grand debate of seasonal allergies or sinus infection. I still don't know, but whatever it is, it is still affecting me with a range of symptoms that vary from day to day. Today is only mild sinus congestion and dry mouth. I have lost my voice, had my nose run and a variety of other fun things. Nothing that made me too sick to go to school. I would rather be sick at school then make sub plans.

It has been summery hot here in Virginia (think 90 degrees) and I have been trying to soak it up. On Saturday morning I went to the Louisa farmer's market and picked up some pepper plants for my porch garden and some local honey. I tried to talk to the extension agent about my compost pile and vermicomposting bin, but he pretty much told me that it sounded like I was doing everything correctly... so I still don't know why they aren't working properly. The rest of the morning was spent planting my plants, turning the compost pile, and grading papers in the sunshine. I tried to plant my tomato in the topsy turvy, but it was too heavy for everywhere I tried to hang it. I used an S hook to hang it from the clothesline, but the S hook was too weak and the topsy turvy fell to the ground and crushed my tomato plant. A plan for another day because I do have one more tomato plant on hand.

For the afternoon I joined Tara and Jerry for a convertible ride up 33 and across the mountains to Bridgewater where we were meeting one of my favorite students Hannah to teach her friends some colonial dancing. I enjoyed the back seat with little leg room because it was so nice and I could enjoy the scenery. It was only a few girls, but they were hilarious, really enjoyed it, and were fun to teach. It was a joy because they learned quickly and had no problems learning the steps and then dancing them in the green grass.

Sunday I awoke bright and early and decided to go for a hike. I hiked the best trail ever - with the most gorgeous waterfalls. That's right - the best. It was a loop with the Doyle's River Trail. Unfortunately spring has not sprung in Shenandoah so there were no leaves to provide shade in the 90* weather, but it was still beautiful. I forgot my camera and it was pretty enough that I broke out my phone and tried to use the self-timer. However ten seconds is not enough to leap across a rock and sit down. I tried three times and the photos just made me laugh. This hike is one I will do again with a camera.

I finished the hike in record time, but I was hot and tired so I decided not to try another trail. I headed home for a nap and some more school stuff.

Yes school is almost done. The science test is less than two weeks away and we have about three weeks left of school - we get out memorial day. I am ready. Ready to be done with 8th grade for a while.

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking about your worms just the other day, maybe that I needed to call you. How are they doing? It sounds like they're just 'okay' from your blog. Ryan and I will still take some if you're overpopulated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the camera phone picture is the best! it made me laugh too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think your photo is great!

    also, just get a friggin' neti pot. it's gross, but it works.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!