As we were stuck in traffic, it took FOREVER to get out to Southampton. We were staying with Kate and she had made evening plans. I had made plans too. When I agreed to chauffeur Hot Mel around I made a mental list of NY foods I needed to eat. We stopped in Mastic for ice cream (they have the best cake batter ice cream there ever) and then Boccachini's for pizza on our way. We were trying to decide how much had changed in the dark - what was new and what had always been there. Mel and I remember slightly different things bc I stayed out a year longer than she did.
We met Kate's roommates and then got ready for a night out at some of our old haunts. Kate's roommate Rodney has the exact same birthday as me. EXACT - as in we were both born in the same year on the same Mother's Day and everything. We made plans to sing to each other if we were still out at midnight.

First we headed out to the Public House for some microbrews and conversation. We met some of the people Kate hangs out with. Then we moved onto Buckley's (which is now called something else) and it was the emptiest I have ever seen. It got a bit more full, but it was still weird. At midnight I handed Rodney a paper napkin card I had made him with crayons. Mel and Kate made me one too, so we decided to wear them tucked into our shirts - super cool.
I tried to talk to this cute boy but he was pretty adamant that a mile and half was too far to walk to work and then he smoked a cigarette. Yuck. End of Story.
It was a fun night, but it was weird to be places I used to go to all the time in college and not know anyone there other than Mel and Kate. I used to know everyone there!
In the morning we went for the best morning after breakfast - bacon egg and cheese on a new york bagel. And we went in typical morning after style - no shower, pjs, no underwear, and hoodies. They just don't make egg sandwiches anywhere like they do in New York.
lovely
ReplyDeletepaper napkin stuck in your birthday neck...now that is true jancaitis fashion!
ReplyDeleteglad you "made note of new york foods you needed to eat." AHAHAHAHAHA.
ReplyDeleteand cute boys lose all appeal when they turn out to be selfish and drunken and vulgar and lazy (thanks alkaline trio).