Today Karrie and I went to a food festival in Richmond. I made her drive. There were lots of vendors and restaurants there selling food and giving samples. Surprisingly, we did not eat that much, though we did have some excellent lamb, carrot coup, and rice pudding. There was a guy there serving bugs and he asked me if I wanted some. I told him that I didn’t eat bugs and then he tried to trick me by asking me if I ate chrimp or crabs. I told him no, bc those were bugs too. You cannot trick the science teacher. I just wanted to look at them. They were giant water bugs from Thailand (the size of milano cookies) – yuck.
The highlight of the event was that Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms, and mentioned in the Omnivoré's Dilemna, was speaking. He is very energetic and kind of a fanatic. But what he is a farmer (and looks it), knows his stuff, and is passionate about it.

After that I took Karrie to the Asian market to check out their selection bc she had never been. I think she was pleasantly surprised. They had some gluten-free flours, black rice, and red rice (I know who has ever heard of anything besides white or brown rice? but now I have some to try). And she picked up some sauces and veggies. I think everything she wanted, or looked at bc she buys it somewhere else, is cheaper and available in larger quantitites - you just have to get over the smell of the butchery in the back and shrug your shoulders at the things you are uncomfortable buying bc there are no english ingredients or cooking directions.
I thought it was interesting to go with someone who actually wanted to buy real food there - instead of me who goes there to buy food that will gross out my students for a fear factor thing I do with them involving 'normal'foods to people in other countries. :)
"I thought it was interesting to go with someone who actually wanted to buy real food there" >>>hahaha!
ReplyDeleteglad you introduced her to a new place to buy food! she will love you forever...
The food adventures keep coming! I will get you to start "actually eating real food from there" soon enough :P
ReplyDelete