Friday, February 27

Worms!

Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, guess I'll go eat worms...

Last night I took a Worm Composting class. The class entailed an informative lecture with a knowledgeable extension agent, a copy of the worm composting bible, drilling holes in a brand new worm tub (a storage container to most people) and mixing shredded newspaper, compost, and starbucks coffee grounds together for a fresh worm habitat, dumping a half pound of pink squirmy worms, and leaving. Not exactly what I was expecting, but I;ll be honest getting my hand dirty was a bit therapeutic after the last couple of days I have had. I was the only one not wearing gloves. I was also the only one under forty.

My new worms are adjusting to their new home. I have to leave the light on in the basement to encourage them not to flee their new plastic home. After a few days they should be settled in and ready to eat eat eat. I am not supposed to give them any compost until Sunday. And then afterwards I am only to feed them about once a week and I get to be silly and hide their food to see if they can find it. Well really, you hide the food to reduce any smell, which there shouldnt be, and to reduce the possibility of fruit flies.

I asked the lady about how much organics I can feed them because lets be honest, there will be at least 8 banana peels a week, at least 8 sets of coffee grounds and filters and who knows how much weight in apple cores, carrot tops and other organics. The extension agent shared my concern and suggested that I may have too much compost and that I should weigh it - because I can only put in two pounds a week. How many banana peels is that?

The extension agent assured me that I pretty much couldnt mess this up. I have my doubts.

The good news is, in three months I can split them up (because they will be having worm sex) and make new bins or start feeding them more compost. So Karrie... in case you are wondering, a worm bin will be your house warming gift. :)

If you think worm composting sounds interesting - read the article linked above or some of these provided by Happy D Ranch - where my worms were growing up.

5 comments:

  1. you know i can use the compost. wow...worm sex? that means you will end up with a bunch of (basement full??) containers full of worms? how cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ry and I will take some worms when you're over-run. We're planning on a big compost bin at our new house. We'll probably be asking "worm mom" Kim lots of questions. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i def think i make more than 2lb of organic waste per week. this could become a worm kingdom at the fulcher-jancaitis household. yikes

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job, worm mom. you're populating the world. give the worms my condolences after their recent upheaval (hahaha).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!