Thursday, February 21

Snow Day

Snow. Sigh. Who thinks of snow when they think of New Mexico anyway? I started in the road to El Morro, but it quickly became icy and slippery and appeared to be worse and worse so I turned around. I went to Walmart and got my oil changed and my tire fixed. I tooled around town. I went to Richardson's Trading Post and Pawn shop and a few other pawn shops to admire the really huge and fabulous turquoise jewelry. Natives make it and then pawn it to get money. Some of them are heirloom pieces though.

I tried to find the Codetalkers Museum about the Navajo code-talkers during WWII (a code the Japanese never broke). I finally found it housed in the Chamber of Commerce and it was more like a display with photos and some official documents. It was interesting to see, but not as in-depth as I would have liked. I got more information from some Gallup propaganda that I picked up. The reason the code was never broken was in part bc the Navajo language is now a written language so there was no record of it anywhere and bc it was a code USING the Navajo language - not just the Native Americans speaking to each other. Other interesting tidbits - they never made any mistakes, military officials believe we may not have been able to win victories in the Pacific without it - specifically Iwo Jima, and the Codetalkers were so important that they had their own bodyguards protecting them (though they worked in pairs). I may need to read a book about this...

This afternoon I braved the cold to take the walking tour of downtown Gallup to admire the many murals. They are pretty(and thanks to the desperate lady at the chamber of commerce i have detailed information about each nuance of the detailed murals. what do i do with this stuff?). I also went in several more pawn shops and native american galleries.

It has been snowing on and off all day. I am bored. I loaded some photos into previous posts and some new ones from the last two days. I am waiting for Rachel and Nick to get home and trying to decide what to do tomorrow. Do I go down the way I wanted to today tomorrow on my way to Albuquerque or do I loop back here to Gallup so that I can go to the Saturday flea market? Is it going to dump snow tonight?

4 comments:

  1. Kimbo, don't be so down about the snow! It is white, fluffy, and beautiful. By the way Louisa and here in PA are having snow days today. We've got about 5 inches and counting this morning. Ryan and I are going to make a snowman later this afternoon. You can always try skiing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. just drizzling rain, freezing on the roads and stuff...no snow in louisa (but a snow day for the school folks)...some of us just work all the time! enjoy the beauty of it...you don't have any pressing schedule, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. no one thinks of snow in arizona either! you are my witness now. you need to get below 4000 feet -- i think that's the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kim. do yourself a favor. stop by
    Super Clips.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!