Monday, February 11

Another really long hike

After a huge breakfast of eggs, bacon, chorizo, and hashbrowns, Richard and I drove ten minutes down the road and twenty minutes up a windy dirt road to the trail head for Miller Peak.

The internet says that Miller Peak is the highest southernmost peak in the US at 9,466 feet. For me what makes it the most interesting, is that hiking up and down it is really similar to the elevation change I made when hiking up and down the Grand Canyon (less than 1000 feet difference). And I was definitely a little sore going up and coming down.

It was a pretty hike through trees and up the mountain. I even hiked a ways through snow and wished I had on my YakTracks. Hiking with Richard was fun bc we had lots of good conversations. Eventually we made it up to the top and celebrated with PBJ. The view of the surrounding desert was spectacular. Richard told me that the other side of the mountain was Mexico and we definitely saw lots of signs of illegals. There were beverage bottles, food wrappers, hats, and abandoned bags all with spanish writing on them. I acquired a mexican blanket that is currently in the washer.

12.5 miles later we made it down. We are both hobbling around and getting dinner ready (Richard is cooking and I simply cut the peppers) and I can't wait to eat.

5 comments:

  1. i admire your ability to find these guys that cook for you...we know that is a better deal than you cooking for them! good job kim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you stole somebodies blanket...you, thief you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude, i am a little concerned about this refugee blanket business--it just seems unsanitary--and you know i have low standards

    ReplyDelete
  4. uh oh, no one warned richard that "helping to bake cupcakes" includes "being in the general vicinity while cupcakes are being baked" !

    ReplyDelete
  5. the blanket was abandoned along with some trash. i carried it home in a garbage bag and left it outside until it went into the washer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!