Sunday, February 17

petrified shmetrified

Kelley and Shirley both knew I wanted to go to Petrified Forest National Park and both of them told me I should completely skip it. Kelley told me it was very underwhelming - I am not sure if that is a word, but is an accurate definition. I was still determined to go. Surprisingly they agreed to accompany me. Unsurprisingly bc there was nowhere else to go together that is A. within reasonable distance or B. available to do bc of the season or the snow. So on the road we went.

Our first stop was the far corner of Jim Gray's Petrified Wood Company parking lot to take photos with the dinosaurs. There were no signs saying not to climb on them, though they were admittedly a bit cold on the vajayjay (writing that still makes me giggle about HUGE arliss in front of the fire at the bar in prescott... sigh.) Shirley was the best photographer and captured some giggling masterpieces while we were trying to mount and dismount. There were signs saying not to climb on the petrified wood logs but we didn't see those until afterwards. (more photos here) We wandered around the store for about an hour. Petrified wood, when polished, is really beautiful and comes in a variety of colors. I found a piece I really liked for 50% off bc it was chipped, but I thought it added character. We assured the store clerks that we would be back when we won the lottery to buy tables, bookends, etc. And I will, have no doubt. Now all I need is a winning lottery ticket.

We carried on to the national park and made our first stop at the visitor center and the giant logs trail. Heaps of unthinking people think that the petrified wood will be a standing forest - no, it is just fallen logs and chunks. I still think it is interesting and perhaps did not find it so disappointing bc both Shirley and Kelley had prepped me for what I was really going to see. In some places in the park it is everywhere, but it must be everywhere outside the park to support all the gift shops. We stopped a few more places in the park to enjoy the scenery and take some photos, but none of the stops were very long.

Roadside America recommended a few other stops for petrified wood and dinos, but they were all incredibly shady, sketchy, and a little WT. The first one was locked until the lady drove down the hill (bc she saw us coming) and when we left so did she. The shop was dark, jumbled, and disorganized. Plus the outside, though hilarious with the dinos eating mannequins and the ostrich farm, was a bit rundown (this property is for sale if you are interested.) The second stop was an old crusty looking gas station that reeked of cigarette smoke. Roadside America, a source of zany roadside attractions, let me down. I will probably continue to use it to look up more giant things and quirky roadside attractions, just be a little bit more picky. I mean, Jim Gray's is in there too and it is fabulous.

After these letdowns, Shirley took us to the the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook (a place I intended to stay if I needed one in the area or if anyone was traveling with me bc you get to sleep in concrete tepees). Hilarious. The reason she took us there is bc it was inspiration for Pixar's Cars. IMDB says "The Cozy Cone Motel's design (in Cars) is based on the two Wigwam Motels along Rt. 66; in Holbrook Arizona and Rialto, California. These were once two out of seven motels, with individual cabins shaped like tepees." Not only does the Wigwam Hotel have the concrete tepee cabins, it has old classic cars parked in the parking lot - like the tow truck in Cars - to really create an atmosphere. And apparently a lot of the other background scenery is based on the area - like Monument Valley and Cadillac Ranch. I have not yet seen this movie (surprisingly), but I will tonight and I am excited.

Kelley burned me some cds to listen to as I drive across the country bc after listening to the Snakes on a Plane soundtrack for the third time in a row, I just could not take it anymore (this was the first time that there were NO available radio stations on fm or am). Kelley is now back on the road to Prescott and I am still hanging out with Shirley and Richard and taking it easy.

And I am really looking forward to watching Cars this evening.

3 comments:

  1. "underwhelming"...but you gotta see it. great pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and "cars" should have reminded you of home..a bit anyway! it is one of the few movies i have seen! hope you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad that arliss' toasty vajayjay is one of your prized memories from prescott :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!