Saturday, February 9

Fun in the Desert with Kelley and Huy

Kelley, Huy and I went to Tuscon today to see the Sonoran Desert Museum and some Saguaro cacti. We had a fabulous time and I laughed to hard i cried three or four times. And it was finally hot.

The highlights of the Sonoroan Desert Museum are posing with bronze statues of desert animals (javelinas, coyotes, mice, etc), trying to take a photo of the three of us eating ice cream cones (we ended up taking 8 or 9 photos), and laughing at the snakes.

We then went to Old Tuscon Studios where more than 300 movies and commercials have been filmed (a bunch of john wayne, 3 amigos). We skipped out on the tour, smirked through the gunfight, drove the antique cars, rode the train, visited the haunted cave (incredibly cheesy and filled with skeletons), and took some funny photos. If I watched westerns maybe I would appreciate the history of the place and know what the guide was talking about when he mentioned specific scenes from different movies.

The highlight of Old Tuscon was when Huy was dragged on stage by the can-can dancers and returned wearing a blonde wig and a sexy red dress. He then performed the can can with the dancers. He was the star of the show and got complemented as we walked out.

After Old Tuscon, we drove through Saguaro National Park. Saguaro cacti are found in other places in AZ and all the way down into Mexico- you can see them driving down 17 towards Phoenix and on the way to Tuscon. They are only found in the Sonoran desert and not any other. But I think maybe there are more within the park then elsewhere. The saguaros make me laugh. Some of them have the funniest arms sticking and waving in all kinds of directions. Kelley was laughing at me bc I was giggling at them as we were driving through the park.

We returned to Phoenix so Kelley could have some retail therapy (her receipt says she saved 420 dollars). Tomorrow I am heading back through Tuscon and further south.

2 comments:

  1. jancaitis=good shopper. i go to the grocery store and save more than i spend all the time. mom and dad would be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kim really WAS giggling randomly as we drove through the cactus forest. yay for being easily amused.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!