I have been thinking about getting out of here since Tuesday... the snowpocolypse is coming and by all accounts it is going to be way too much snow. Flights to Florida to visit Beth and see sunshine were reasonable, as were flights to Seattle. I got unofficial permission from the department head and yesterday during fourth period I was poised to buy my one way ticket to warmth. When I submitted my request, the price doubled. Two boys, shirking some class, and I then thought of all the other places I could fly too. All prices that I had looked at recently were up. Even Las Vegas wasn't cheap and Nathan was sure that I could get there. I was so mad and frustrated. Jay offered to drive me to Florida.
And I did think about driving to Florida. I probably should have. The problem with driving to Florida is the distance. I don't mind driving back, but phone calls about school normally come around 6pm. So when I got the phone call for school being 2 hour delayed, I would have approximately 28 hours until I needed to be at school, and 24 of those (at least) would be spent driving back and then I would have to teach. Not fun and not how I plan on teaching.
Snow reports for this weekend have only gotten worse. School was canceled for today yesterday around 4:30 (unofficially via text message to a student in my room). At 6am, there was no snow, but by 8am big flakes are falling steadily. Not really sticking to the road, just making everything wet. However it is hard to say what the snow is and is not sticking too because there is so much snow already.
I did give all of my chemistry students books yesterday with 6 snow day assignments. I basically explained that we had missed 3 days (so far) of which we only need to make up one so that's two days of lost instruction time. And if I have to cut stuff to get it all covered before the test, I have to cut games. So they could do some learning at home and we could still play games. I also told them that I chose questions instead of assigning them all, so it wasn't just busy work. They took it rather well and didn't complain. There were some complaints but only from the weight of the books and the fact that a history teacher and spanish teacher had the same idea and they had two or three books to carry around! There were some good questions and some even thanked me (weird!) because they were also tired of being at home. It went better than I expected and I do feel that the majority of them will actually do it.
I am finding it very hard to be motivated this morning. I think I am going to make a carrot cake and bake a chicken dish later. I have school stuff I could do - for teaching and learning. There's stuff I can do around the apartment. I just don't feel like it. But I am going to get moving anyway because it's going to be a long weekend.
25 More Things
12 years ago
Ryan and I still think that you should bake for the local fire/police/rescue and take it to them tonight or tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteit is okay to do nothing. or so i am told...i sure don't do it often either!
ReplyDelete