Tuesday, February 16

Another freaking snow day...

but this time the only snow in sight is the mountains from the last few storms. It did snow yesterday... starting around third period based on the news in the hallway, but we did not leave early and it wasn't snowing when I left school to come home. The roads were wet, but clear.

I was planning on getting to school around normal time despite the two hour delay to work on getting my grades into the gradebook for interims. I layed in bed for a while after my alarm went off and couldn't go back to sleep. Wide awake at 6:30, so I got up, got ready, and left. What to wear for Mardi Gras? It was such a decision.

The sun was shining, the roads were clear and mostly dry. When I got to school a little before 8 and there were a few cars in the lot. I walked in the door and a fellow, but unknown teacher (I thought he was a math teacher, Jeanette says he teaches business) let me know they had just sent an email out that school was closed for the day. Well I came in to do my grades so I decided to stay and be productive. More than 15 minutes later... maybe even half an hour I got the call. By that time I had already read said email (and anyone who logs onto the school's system knows how long that takes). This call was from Debra so that was weird. Then I got the official call with the lady who has made every other call. I always wonder whose voice is on that recording. It's a small school system, I feel like I ought to know who that is. But I don't.

So I stayed at school and entered three pages worth of grades, graded some late work and put that in too, printed grade sheets, made new seating charts alphabetical by middle name, cleaned my room (but not my desk) and put things away. It was pretty productive and much better than staying at home.

I left around 2 and came home to eat hot scones and read the Whale Warriors. It's about the Sea Shepard organization and their campaign to end Japanese whaling around Antarctica. This book is way more interesting and engaging than I thought it would be. It is written by a Natl Geographic writer who joined the crew as part of the media (a surprising quarter of the people on the ship) about their campaign in the winter of 2005 (Antarctic summer). This group does not work with GreenPeace and takes a more active approach to harass the Japanese and end whaling.

These people are crazy, dedicated, and volunteers. Don't worry (Kelley) I have no intention of joining such a venture, but the more I read the more I admire what they are trying to do.

I was looking for a good pic and looked up the website and found out some surprising news from their current campaign - a man smuggled himself onto the ship and demanded money for a sunken vessel and now everyone is waiting to see what the Japanese are going to do with the intentional prisoner. Hmmm.

4 comments:

  1. Do you have the students guess what the seating chart layout system is? It would be funny to watch them guess about it. You could offer an extra credit point or something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. at least you were very productive on this snow day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah Ann, I totally do that! Making them guess and giving them points.

    First they go ABC by first name then last name so i can learn them, then middle bc its funny, and then the randomness begins. I do it by their favorite color, birthday month, type of music (from a survey from the first day of school they don't remember filling out), second letter in the first name (this one is my favorite), all kinds of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The TV show "Sea Shepherds" is Crazy! I was wondering if they were working on a new season or not. It would be interesting to read the book as, I would hope, it would present a more balanced picture of what goes on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!