So on Lee Jackson King Monday, Dad came out for dinner and Shannon and John joined us for dessert. I made pasta for dinner and peanut butter mocha pie for dessert. The real reason was to move the tv around closer to the window and it was an evening we were all free. And it had to be a few of us because that TV is heavy and both the tv and stand needed to be moved.
I showed them how well the antenna worked in its old location and we played around with it... and then we moved everything closer to the window. I don't know about how heavy the tv is, but Shannon and I had no problem moving the dressing table stand once we realized it rolled (Dad reminded me).
Then we played with the antenna some more. Dad tried holding it, putting it on the tv, beside the tv, and then putting it on the shelf behind the tv. If you look at the tv in the photo, you can see the 40% reception bar. The signal was not getting much better consistently. Sometimes it would spike up into the green and into the high 60s but it wouldn't really stay there. And this was both the original antenna and the new one.
Then Dad tried sitting on the window sill in the window in front of the TV and it worked much better. If only I watched any programs that come on FOX. What's interesting is the old antenna works there better than the new one. Like six channels better.
Tuesday John brought over his flat black box antenna and we tried it. Most of the reception was the same, BUT John's antenna picked up PBS channels. A few of them.
I think this whole TV situation is funny, but frustrating. Really, the only things I watch are PBS, Biggest Loser, Lost, and Gray's Anatomy... and now the only I can watch is Biggest Loser which I go to Mom's for anyway. And when I get the receiver that John has (tomorrow, same price as the one I returned today), I will be able to watch PBS, but I will still not be able to watch the other two programs because I will not get ABC. So of the only four things I even watch on TV, I can only watch two. I watch so little TV that this seems highly unfair!
you know you can watch grey's free online once it airs on abc.com. also, there are TV channel online thingys where you can watch ANYTHING free. look into it.
ReplyDeleteI think you'll be able to watch LOST that way too. ABC has been really good about letting you download and watch for free!
ReplyDeleteor maybe we need to do loser at your house...lost at mine :-). too bad chrissy isn't around for that anymore. she should come back!
ReplyDeletedon't think my internet is fast enough for tv watching. i tried something recently and the sound was decent, but the video was terrrible
ReplyDeleteWe had the same problem in Norfolk - it doesn't seem fair that there is really no alternative to cable anymore because the reception is so crappy. I had problems watching "Lost" on my computer too until I realized that it worked much better when I had the laptop plugged in rather than running on battery. Maybe that would help you?
ReplyDeleteaaron and i still get ZERO channels and continue to watch only futurama and beavis & butthead DVDs. also, it's not lee jackson king day anymore!
ReplyDelete