Sunday, January 24

airline woes?

So I need a flight to Houston, Texas for Jen and Andy's wedding. Two lovely people, good times with friends, really looking forward to it. No big deal. I have already reserved the hotel, requested the day off work necessary for traveling, and even thought about sub plans.

I get all these emails talking about cheap airfare and good deals. Yet when I actually need a flight, those cheap fares seem to be nonexistent. As of a search last night, my average price is about $500. That is ridiculous. I have never paid that much for a ticket anywhere in the COUNTRY including California and Seattle (well to Alaska it's that much). What gives?

I checked my other options. Driving it would take me twenty hours and twenty minutes to get there. Not feasible for a weekend trip. I can take a train for $200 and I can leave on Friday, but my route takes me to DC and then Chicago, and puts me in Houston on Sunday afternoon. Also not feasible for a weekend trip. Disheartened, I did not check the bus schedule. I did call my Dad to double check if Uncle Jim would drive me to a northern Virginia airport. Maybe if I do that I will just drive up and fly with Bunny and Bill (good idea... I'll call them).

So, hand digging deep for the plastic, I was ready to purchase an overpriced plane ticket, where they are not even going to feed me, where they will charge me for my luggage, make me feel cheap in the post-underwear-bomber strip search, and perhaps make me sit for hours in an out of the way location serving as a layover, and the websites won't load. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Air travel sucks. It also sucks that there are so few public transportation alternatives. I was thinking about visiting Chrissy in Asheville (from Lynchburg), and I thought "I don't want to drive all that way by myself. I'll take the bus." And then I realized that the bus I was thinking of is extremely comfortable, cheap, and convenient, but unfortunately it goes from Geoje Island to Seoul and a comparably comfortable option just doesn't exist in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad you are not so disheartened that you feel the need to even look at the greyhound. ick.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!