Saturday, January 30

SNOW (again) in photos

It is sort of difficult for me to anticipate the snow storm becuase I listen to an NPR station that is based out of southwest Virginia (which those schools have hardly gone to school this month). knowing those schools have not been in (probably because of snow that we never even saw), it is difficult to know whether the impending snow doom was for them, for us, or both. Friday at school I pulled up the radar to look at the snowblob after hearing on the radio that the panhandle had gotten about a foot of snow. Snow on the panhandle? The coming storm could be bad.

The weather blob was astounding and maybe more so because I was previously unexposed. I checked some other forecasts and determined that the snow was coming, but we were expected to get between one and twelve inches. Meteorology is educated guessing at its finest (I got an A in that class).

Friday evening I went to dance practice and expected the snow to start falling while I was there. When I arrived home around 11, there still was not snow. At 1 am (I got enthralled in a book), the snow still had not started.

In the morning when I woke up, I could hear trucks rumbling by and a train, so I did not really expect snow. I was wrong. There was quite a bit of snow. I looked once and then ignored it. I worked out, showered, did some laundry and straightening, baked some bread, drank coffee and finished the book while the chocolate cake was baking. I have listened to a full opera on NPR as well as CarTalk.

I decided to go for a walk and check things out. (My apartment is the first five rounded windows on the top right of the brick building) I had a bill to mail and was curious if the coffee shop or restaurant down the street was open (both closed for snow). I bundled up and put on my hot pink snow pants, grabbed a camera and a tape measure, and set off. My reward for braving the snow was going to be a slice of chocolate cake.

I didn't even make it all the way down the stairs before I had to take a photo. There is snow INSIDE my entryway because my very old door does not quite meet the frame and snow has blown through the gap.After opening the door, I needed another photo to show the drift awaiting me. Look at my little snowman on the right. How much snow did we get? Well it is still coming down. I measured a bunch of places, but all of it was pretty much between 8 and 10 inches. Some drifts were deeper though. I'm thinking unless its really warm tomorrow we will not have school on Monday. (I'm not counting on that though because that would jinx it)

With the snow storm coming, I debated about where to park my car. I didn't want to park on the street because during the last little bit of snow, my car got sprayed with all kinds of gunk. Plus I do not want to impede any plowing. I also did not really want to park behind my apartment because last time it snowed a lot it was a nightmare back there and I do not want to be stuck for a long time. I parked on a side street on pavement facing out. My car will be mildly difficult to get out, but I think it will be easier than say getting out of mom's driveway because the distance is shorted. My car looks like it has a tilted faux hawk because of the blowing snow drift.

I didn't walk around long, because unless I was undertaking an epic snow walk to the food dog, there wasn't much to do. There are plenty of people stupidly driving around, but everything is closed (as it should be). Plus the blowing snow is kind of icy cold and painful when hitting you in the face. Plus I really do not like snow. So back in I headed for some chocolate cake, coffee, and maybe to take care of some things on the long list I made this morning (of which I have only crossed off 2 things).

My plan for this evening is making soup, classwork for my grad class, and Indiana Jones. And more chocolate cake. :)

3 comments:

  1. your photos are so picturesque! who knew downtown louisa was so charming :) and your cake baking in the oven! yay when it snows where you are and not where i am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. snow, snow, snow! I bet you don't have school Monday and a two-hour delay on Tuesday and Wednesday (that's the same guess for us to!).
    =D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!