Monday, December 29

Relaxing

Anyone that knows me, knows that I have a difficult time relaxing. Stopping, slowing down, and sitting around to do nothing is something that I struggle with. I prefer to go go go and have something to do.

Yesterday I attempted to relax. I started my day with a run to the St James fire station. I am not sure how far it is, but it is far enough for a good run. Then I came back and had breakfast and attempted to be quiet to give Josh another opportunity to sleep in - mostly this is keeping Bruce from squawking raucously by petting him and saying 'hello' over and over again. I read the paper, tried the crossword, etc. Eventually Josh got up and I learned the game plan for the day - nothing.

I wasted some time on Facebook - since I really don't know what the point of it is. I discovered that I can send people fish or plants and they can send them back to me and we can save the rainforest at the same time. I am not sure exactly how that works, but so far I have saved 2 square feet of rainforest and wasted a lot of time. My sister Kelley is obviously a pro because she has saved over three hundred square feet. Now I realize that 1 square foot is a ridiculously small amount of rainforest, but I also realize that even a small amount will help, even though I don't quite understand how it works.

I read some physics and tried to understand the laws of motion and took some notes. That was boring and I am dreading it, so I didn't spend much time. More when I am at my own computer and have the standards in front of me.

Then I started re-reading Harry Potter. Somehow I have put off reading book 7 and escaped finding out what happened in book seven (don't tell me!). What happened is that I cant remember what happens in book 5 and 6 other than the DA and then hiding out in Sirius's house to fight the Ministry of Magic or something. Seeing the movie for book 5 helped, but we all know its not the same nor is it as good as the book. So really I have been waiting to reread those and if I am going to reread those I might was well reread them all.

Yesterday while sprawled on the couch, while Josh watched two or three football games, and did quite a lot of napping (he slept in! he shouldn't be tired!), I read The Sorcerer's Stone, The Chamber of Secrets, and half of the Prisoner of Azkaban. So two and half books.

Oh yeah and I finished Twinkie Deconstructed too so now I know all about where the ingredients come from in processed food. Half of them are mined. MINED. The other half are petrochemicals made from petroleum. Yum. Now that I have read all about them though I will probably have to get one at a gas station on the trip home.

So anyway, relaxing and reading about three books. Yep. Still no good at relaxing. Maybe someday.

4 comments:

  1. Don't eat the Twinkie!

    We got some more Michael Pollan for Christmas and can't wait to start reading. I'm halfway through, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Kingsolver and I highly suggest it. I'm also slowly converting Ryan (Mwhahahaha) as we're going to the organically pasture-raised meat farm this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am putting off reading Harry Potter VII also because I don't want the series "to end" and because I feel I need to reread the first ones before I read the last one.
    Ewww, I ate some Christmas-themed Peeps. I'm sure those are the result of some major mining. And they are not vegetarian. And yet I cannot say no to their sugar-crusted goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm sugar crust. it's funny that the book did not inspire you to stop eating twinkies (although they really aren't very good in the past 5 years or so). i'll stick to my chocolate-covered marshmallow santas that have finally thawed.

    and sponsors buy up rainforest when you use the program on facebook. it's really not that difficult/obscure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. when you figure out how to do it...let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!