Tuesday, November 4

election day

I was in line at the lodge in Cuckoo at 6:01 this morning. I could have possibly been in line earlier had parking not been a mad house and a jumbled mess. Mom had to back out of the parking lot and go park in a church down the street while I jumped out to get in line. However being confident country drivers that we are, no one has been in an accident, and loads of people parked off road and in ditches.

Anyway. I was in line at 6:01 this morning and there were more than 50 people in front of me. In a short amount of time there were easily twice that many people behind me. People were in high spirits and chatting away, making comments about the forecast of impending rain, horrible parkers, and how this poll wasnt ready for this many voters. Not too much talk about the candidates. I told Mom that with the amount of people in line, Cuckoo district was going to be closed by noon because everyone would have already shown up to vote.

A gentleman was making his way down the line asking if anyone needed help picking a candidate. I told him that I thought was illegal. He told me no it wasn't, that it was encouraged. As I got closer to the entrance I saw the sign detailing legalities - and he was within 40 feet of the door - so it was illegal!

A man in line behind me was super-nervous about using a computer to vote. So nervous that he was unnerved by watching the video how to do it on a laptop. I tried to reassure him and show him how easy it was on the poster on the wall - seriously it is only four screens. I am sure the pollsters will help him. He was not the only one that appeared to have not voted in ages. I am sure the pollsters in Cuckoo and all over the country will be helping all kinds of people who haven't voted using the electronic machines.

They had three machines in Cuckoo. Mom told me she heard on the news that places in Richmond have that many poll machines for more voters(!)- because poll machine placement is deteremined by last time's turnout. With record voters expected to turn out everywhere, I am sure lines are going to be long. It has been on the news - but spread the word, if you are line before 7 you will get to vote, even if you have to wait in line til after 7. STAY IN LINE.

Who did I vote for? The lesser of two evils. They both have pros and cons. They both scare me as potential leaders. The important thing is that I got out and voted and put in my two cents. I have a right to complain about whatever happens because I used my right to vote. Did you?

ROCK THE VOTE!

4 comments:

  1. Here in NC there was no line, no hassles, and no computers. Good old paper ballot for us. I think I also picked the lessor of two evils...think we voted the same? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be a Jancaitis trait that if you vote, you can BITCH about anything. :D I told James that (he thought it was ridiculous) and then Dad shared the same thought with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karrie I laughed out loud when I read your comment. Silly James. He must not know the rules. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaron didn't vote but it hasn't kept him from mouthing off ...

    paper ballots here in AZ also -- no NADER 2008 :( but starting my campaign for JESSE VENTURA 2012. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!