Tuesday, November 18

SNowY day

Lauren warned me it might snow yesterday and I of course did not believe her. It is only November!

So this morning at 630 when I looked through the kitchen window I was SHOCKED to see a blanket of white covering the backyard. Why hadn't I gotten a phone call telling me school was delayed?

Well mostly because there wasn;t that much snow and because there was no snow on the roads. My kind of snow. Pretty to look at, but not that much trouble - though Mom did sweep my car off for me this morning.

Rich put a cat door into the shed so hopefully the cats will have some place warm and dry to hideout. I don't know whether they are using it, but it has been interesting trying to figure out HOW to get them to use it. I shoved Lightning through it and she didn't come back. So i held the door open and she came out. Then I grabbed her again and shoved her through and whistled and called for her until she came out. (Have I told you that I am trying to teach my cats to come when I whistle for them?) The last two evenings instead of putting Lightning outside the door, I have carried her down to shed and shoved her through the cat door. Hopefully they are sleeping in the shed because it was super cold last night and it snowed!

PS So i cooked the leftover pumpkins and now I have all this cooked pumpkin. I was going to make a pumpkin pie for thanksgiving, but Karrie said that was covered. so i made a pumpkin chocolate cheesecake pie last night and i really should have been better reading the directions. it sounded good in the pie book, but it took FOREVER. make this, let it cool, do this, cook it, let it cool, do this make this let it cool.... it is tasty - I couldn't even eat it last night at 11 because it still had to cool for three house - so I had some for lunch. it is delicious, but I am not sure it was worth all that effort.

6 comments:

  1. We had to try to teach layla to get back in the crate today! I shoved her ass in there too! Good mommy, kim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cat-training methods are quite similar to yours. I am trying to retrain my outdoor cats to use food bowls on myfront porch instead of on the backporch (the front porch is covered, so their food will not get soggy when it rains). "teaching" consists of seizing them, placing them forcibly on the front porch, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SNoW! *sigh* We had a few flurries today...enough to make it beautiful. I love the pic!

    food = new behavior in animals. Jamie, keep putting the food out front and they'll learn. Kim, have you tried just putting a few pieces of food in the shed? Grendel knows that it's time for bed when we shake the oats can or bunny-o (cheerios shaped like bunnies) box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate recipes like that - I never read them through first and invariably end up with not enough time for all the cooking and cooling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, I'm going to give you my recipe for pumpkin gooey butter cakes. they are quick, easy, delicious, pumpkiny - and contain enough calories to last you through the winter. I LOVE them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!