Adam and I had our Thanksgiving last night at the Chinese Buffet. I am not sure why we felt the need to have 'our' thanksgiving, but I do know it was at the buffet because that is where Adam wanted to go. He wanted to go there for the hot mushroom balls of goodness... or something like that. He has about ten names for them - he says they are orgasmic.
So that is where we went. The mushrooms are good - they are caps filled with some cream cheese something, topped in cheese and are floating in some kind of oil. I bet they are super-healthy. Next to them are some of my favorite chinese buffet artery cloggers - the pockets of cream cheese that have been deep fried. Yum.
So other than the cheesy fried bits, there was an excellent variety of sushi, a lot of shrimp dishes and a lot of chicken dishes. The vegetables were serious lacking, but I did have some green beans.
The highlight of the evening was the FROG LEG. There was a whole tray of them there on the buffet. I have never had a frog leg and decided that I had to have one. So I put one on my plate and then ate everything else on the plate while silently contemplating the frog leg. The frog leg was as long as my spoon and very muscular. It's calf muscle was proportioned as big as my calf muscle. I sort of hate to think how monstrous these frogs look before they are de-legged and deepfried. And what do they do with the rest of the frog? Do they skin it before they cook it? I kind of think they do and sort of grossed out if they dont.
The frog leg was good. It was cooked very well and had good flavor (considering it was on a buffet I did find this surprising). I do not think it tasted like chicken. I was grossed out. The whole time I was picking it apart and munching on it (Sorry I am not much of a bone-sucker and this certainly crossed the line!) I was thinking. Hmmm this is an amphibian. Weird.
Anyway. Interesting experience. Fun Thanksgiving with Adam. Hope you all have fabulous Thanksgivings with your friends and families... I must admit I am interested to hear what Ellen is eating in Korea.. :)
25 More Things
12 years ago
Happy Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteno frog legs at the jancaitis-fulcher thanksgiving. sorry to disappoint.
ReplyDeleteSorry to disappoint, but we're having all-American Thanksgiving here, complete with cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie from cans. But we did have an unusual culinary experience at Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving, as seen here. Octopus, anyone?
ReplyDeletei didn't even get a lebanese thanksgiving at the in-laws ... so you definitely win the exotic thanksgiving dinner prize! next time, we need pics of 1. the frog leg 2. your face while eating the frog leg and 3. you and adam surrounded by food/empty plates.
ReplyDelete:)