Adam and I went out to dinner last night - we've been having dinner about once a month, taking turns in location. We had planned a feasting extravaganza at the Wood Grill Buffet bc I had a gift card to there from when I was working and earned perfect attendance at the high school. So we fasted most of the day, eating meager lunches, and no afternoon snacks to prepare ourselves for the smorgasbord.
I let myself into Adam's house and sat on the couch to grade papers until Adam arrived. We chatted a bit and we giggled about my kids reactions to their concern about their exposure to dihydrogen monoxide and how they don't want to die. He showered and we made our way to the buffet. Somehow the hostess knew our plan and strategically placed us right next to the buffet area. One step from the carpet under our table to the tile floor and the mashed potatoes, fried chicken, and collard greens.
We both had different strategies. Adam themed his plates - ethnic, meat, veggies. He was going for eating fast so that he wouldn't fill up. I went for dessert first with some meat, a plate full of vegetables in various forms, and then whatever was left that I wanted to try and then some more dessert. Adam was mad because I had a plate that was half full - I argued that none of it was that good - which it wasn't and I was getting full.
I ate so much that I felt slightly nauseous and that I really needed to burp. I couldn't even eat one more cookie that Adam brought back for me. (Though it sure is good now!) We chatted while we there and laughed at the fat nasty Americans and how many times people ran into my chair in their hurry to get to the buffet.
Adam asked me what was new - not much I said, just school stuff. we talked about it and I told him I was boring. He told me I wasn't boring - I told him he thought that because he knew what I was talking about bc he has been a teacher and he currently works in a school. We talked about failed dating plans and planned our next internet dating scheme of drinking beer and filling out profiles for after the first of the year.
We went to the sporting goods store to look for soccer stuff for Adam and to admire the dead animals on the wall. We poked fun at the deer porn - videos of people going deer hunting (I bet Sarah Palin has a collection). Then we headed back to Adam's house and to part ways.
To sum up my relationship with Adam, this is how it ended: "Well I am going to stop talking because I really have to poop." "Well you are going to have to go upstairs because I have to go too" "OK," Hugs, see-you-laters, running to the bathroom, seat time, flushing, and me yelling up the stairs goodbye as I headed home.
25 More Things
12 years ago
LOL. The sad thing is, I can picture all of this is my head. Have you decided that the Wood Grill is better than the Old Country? Maybe you could set up a science fair project and see which one is better. You could rate them on food quanitity, quality, number of trips per person, average weight, and .... mullets!
ReplyDeleteAre you sure you don't want to move to Asheville and try the dating scene here? We have a really large Asian buffet. Oh, never mind. Kim, you would never want to go there!
=P
i read somewhere that obese people are more likely to sit close to the buffet than non-obese. i think this is probably skewed though since there are only so many seats close to the buffet and countless #s of obese people.
ReplyDeleteChrissy, your comment about mullets cracked me up! There are not a lot of buffets here, with the notable exception of the Japanese buffet where I tried my first rambutan. Oddly, about eight out of ten times that I drive past the buffet, there is a huge birthday party going on with balloons and everything. Nothing says festive like a buffet!
ReplyDelete