Monday, July 4

Good Times with Good Friends

In the morning, Aaron and I decided we were going to walk around Simmons Mill Pond a little nature preserve near Sandra and Greg's house. I guess its not little because the information I just looked up says it 400 acres with a 37 acre pond! We invited Sandra to go so she led the way and told us we should walk there.

It's a pretty place with nice wide paths. We tried to make a loop of the trails (successfully) and walked by two or three ponds or saw the same pond from a couple of different angles or something. I am really not sure. It was wooded and shady and we had a nice stroll.

Upon returning Greg called Sandra and asked if we had contacted Bill & Bunny so Sandra told me to call them and I invited them over for hamburgers and hanging out. Bill asked me questions which I asked Sandra and then I relayed the answers. Bill called back and said what about Jen and Andy so I asked Sandra who told me yes so I told Bill and Bunny to invite them. So I invited Bill & Bunny over and they invited Jen & Andy over. Fun.

Well Bill & Bunny said they'd be here in an hour so we left Aaron to work on his final paper and Sandra and I headed to the nearest grocery store. Tons of people live around Greg and Sandra, but its kind of like Louisa in that the real stores are not that close. Lee's Market was awesome (I would like to have this grocery store near me) and we picked up the things we needed. Upon returning we put Aaron in charge of making the hamburgers and Sandra and I got other things going.

Bill getting the fire going
People arrived and the laughter began. We sat around the unlit fire pit talking in circles. It's funny the dynamics of people criss-cross talking across and around the circle as different conversations are going on. A funny incident was discovering that the propane was out. OOPS. Random firewood collection around the yard began and Andy & Bill got a good fire going in the firepit while Jen and Sandra went down the street to Greg's parents to get another tank just in case.  

Ladderball
Greg and Andy were playing ladder ball (known as rope-a-dope where I come from) and were complaining about having to walk back and forth so Aaron and I joined them. Aaron and I suck so I think Greg and Andy were better off without us. Andy seemed like the sure winner, but Greg has a wicked overhand toss that is pretty good (plus its his game - he probably practices). Aaron was trying to toss the same way he does when bowling (over extending and kicking his leg out - I am not sure he even knows this is happening) and some how nailed himself in the nads with his own hand. We're still not sure how this happened, but a self-inflicted ball injury is a laughing matter. 
the injury

It started to rain a little so the girls went in to play UNO. (The boys were unconcerned and stayed outside.) We played by my proclaimed "Jancaitis house rules" because even though its the same game everyone plays a little differently. Everyone complains of course, but at least there are no questions. Except when I accidentally said "when you have two cards left be sure to say uno." Oops. The game got intense, players switched in and out, but good times were had.

Eventually most of the food was eaten and everyone went home. I have been charged with inviting everyone to Jen & Andy's when we get there at the end of the month, and again to Bill & Bunny's when we get there too. I of course invited them all to Virginia, but will see them sooner in Pennsylvania for Josh & Bri's wedding. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys are having tons of fun_can't wait to see what's next! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i see your organizational skills are seen by many...as you are in charge of getting everyone together at every oneelse's houses...the little things that louisa taught you. keep enjoying your trip...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!