So when I took my kids hiking last month, I mentioned that if we were still friends, then we would go to the zoo and feed the giraffes. Turns out none of them had been to a zoo at all, so since we are poor and looking for maximum effect, we went to the DC zoo which incidentally doesn't even have giraffes right now, much less ones you can feed (Oh Richmond zoo you are in my future some time).

The weather for Saturday looked like poo, but we went anyway and didn't hit much traffic other than me leaving the directions at home. We got there and I made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with my fingers bc I forgot a knife and weirdly enough there were no utensils in my car at all. They still tasted good.
I do enjoy the DC zoo. There are a lot of exhibits under construction currently so we couldn't walk in a loop, but there was still plenty to see and the weather was pretty cooperative.

My favorite was the invertebrate house because of the cuttlefish and the mantis shrimp. Mantis shrimp are aggressive little buggers that beat the crap out of their prey with muscly arms. We teased one until it came out of its little hidey-hole and tried to hit the glass. :) We are such instigators... but it was super cool. J really liked the cheetahs. We heard this awful racket and checkout the gibbons calling to each other and that was neat. The zebras were also making a racket when we walked by.

The ride back was pretty uneventful with a stop off for burritos and back at a reasonable time. Overall it was pretty cool. I like the zoo :)
I've never been to the Richmond zoo either...we'll have to go after we finish up school. I still need to feed the giraffes too!
ReplyDeleteoh...i will never forget your first trip to the DC zoo and the zebras....
ReplyDelete