Friday night I did the townie thing and walked down to the coffee shop to enjoy some live music. The boys that were playing had played earlier in the week at the Rhythm and Rhyme performance hosted by LCHS's marketing class and were mellow and enjoyable. I can't believe that I have never gone to Solid Grounds before to listen to music.
Saturday I drove up the park to ride along Skyline Drive and then headed to Crozet for Ellen's baby shower. I love that spring is here and that all the trees are budding and looking green! The baby shower was pleasant, full of ladies who love to give gifts and pink frosted cupcakes.
Afterwards I joined Chrissy and her family for dinner at Outback... nothing like enjoying a dinner with a large group of people who might as well be your family! Conversations across the table are interesting and varied. The adults left to head down to Lynchburg and I dragged Chrissy, Ryan, and her brother off to Staples to get some supplies I needed (and to spend coupons - money for free!). Then we went to Guads to drink beers and margaritas. Halfway through my first one I got called away for an emergency pickup... a promise that I needed to keep. It's alright though because I was going to see Chrissy in a few days.
Sunday morning I made bunny shaped muffins (Thank you Mom for the pan) and drank coffee enjoying the sunshiney weather and my apartment. I guess I had oatmeal cookies for breakfast as well... For lunch I headed out to Carol's for lunch and frisbee golf. There weren't as many guys there, so the frisbee golf teams were a little more evenly matched with women who aren't master frisbee throwers. Team Yellow (Amber and I) placed third even with keeping up with Amber's cute daughter Sydney. I think it might still be unfair though because the first and second place teams did both have a boy on them. My mom even got out there and represented for team purple... next time I want her on my team... she just needs some practice. :)
Sunday afternoon and I worked on my homework of reviewing other people's grant proposals and then decided to go to the drive-in. I have decided that I love the drive-in. What's not to love about enjoying the weather and seeing two movies for seven dollars? It was kind of confusing because of the similar story lines between the Lightning Thief and Clash of the Titans (both about Perseus and mythology), but I enjoyed both films. Maybe I won't like it so much when the mosquitos are out.
Monday... I sat in the coffeeshop and graded quizzes just cuz. I went to school to clean up and make copies. Last year I was really bad at filing and now I am getting to the point where I need all those random things that are that pile and I keep having to rifle through them. We are down to one machine and it's hard to make a zillion copies when people are breathing down your neck. I forgot my school keys and I had to sweet talk a janitor to let me in and then let me in my room as well. Good thing I've known all the janitors for years. Monday afternoon I headed out to Culpeper for a second date. The date was good, there's good Thai there, a nice park to walk in, and I had a good time... and there is a third date lined up for when I return. I am flattered that he tried to tell me Louisa is on the way to Culpeper from Michigan...
Tuesday... I tried to clean up my apartment and laundry and pack. I did a horrible job of packing. I know I packed way too much, but such is life when you pack last minute. I got on the road wearing my aviators and a tank top and sunburned my arm on the way to Asheville. 29 was as curvy and rollercoaster-like as ever with less than cops than usual and I made my way with no incidents.
Chrissy and Ryan showed me a fabulous night on the town in Asheville. We went to a little Indian place that had really great food. They source a lot of their ingredients locally and have yummy sounding specials. I accidentally bit down on a hot pepper because I did not correctly identify it (it was not a bay leaf so I tried it)... thank goodness for the yogurt! While we were dining outside, we kept hearing this odd music and Chrissy identified it as a singing saw (because she had seen one on the Amazing Race).
We were on our way to the bakery to get Whoopie Pies, but the place was closed! Chrissy has a special place in her heart for whoopie pies because of the Amish and had found this bakery in Asheville that makes good ones. Because it was closed, we decided to try the chocolate lounge down the street... why have we never been there before?!? It was packed for a Tuesday both before and after we ordered and deservedly so. Check out this menu and see if you can make a decision... I tried a macaroon covered mocha brownie, Chrissy the classic chocolate cake, and Ryan the chocolate creme brulee. Heavenly. Homemade and we need to go back!
I got on the road fairly early on Wednesday because Ryan was leaving for an interview and Chrissy had already left for work... off to SC for me!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks!