Monday, March 16

LCMS Fun Run

Originally Friday was supposed to be a teacher work day and at the end of the day one the principals, an avid runner, organized a 5K. One of the school’s goals is for everyone to become healthier and all the time people are sending out “healthy high-five” emails to each other. With the goal of a 5K, many people were working out more, and walking or running after school.

Because of the snow days we had recently, Friday became a school day and the 5K was moved to Saturday morning rain or shine. A lot of people could no longer commit to a Saturday and the rainy cold sleeting weather forecast probably dropped attendance as well.

I thought it was heaps of fun. I enjoyed the fact that I knew everyone there and that I already knew the course I was up against. All but one teacher from my 8th grade team was there and the science department was well-represented as well. I told Susan my goal was to stay with her for the first lap and I stayed pretty close. I only walked twice – and both times where no one could see me (bc somehow that makes it better).

In the end I was with Rupert (the 8th grade principal) and Nate, an 8th grade math teacher. They both walked more than me, but walked slower, so we changed places a few time. As we were coming into the home stretch up the bus loop hill, Nate was in front of me and Rupert behind. I always have a good finish, and though it is a hill, compared to Cuckoo road its pretty gentle. I could hear Rupert speeding up behind me so I started to run faster… In the end all three of finished at pretty much the same time. I know Nate was first, but I don’t know if I succeeded in staying ahead of Rupert. And I finished I think in the top ten, if not the top twelve. (Update - I finished ninth, .2 seconds ahead of Mr. Rupert)

Everyone finished within an hour, remember some of these teachers are walking older ladies, and enjoyed coffee, bagels, juice, bananas, and other sweets. We moved the festivities inside as it started to rain while we waited for the tallying of the winners. They had enough prizes on hand, and because the crowd was smaller than expected, that pretty much everyone got something. I have a month free gym membership that I am going to do my best to take advantage of.

Again I thought it was heaps of fun, even with the cold rainy weather. A bunch of us females are considering another race in May called “Run Like a Girl.” Because if I am going to run anyway, I might as well run races. Why not?

3 comments:

  1. *healthy high-five* !!

    way to go kim ... races are a nice change of pace, plus you get t-shirts and sometimes there are weirdos in costumes to keep you giggling !

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and you may as well run like a girl too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for a free gym membership.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!