Thursday, July 31

Big happenings at the Food Dog

After a full day of teacher orientation (of which I spent most of my time talking to Jen and Cheskawich (both returning teachers forced into orientation again) and working on some marine bio curriculum I am collaborating on), I went to the Food Dog to get my groceries. When I turned into the parking lot there was a huge cloud of thick gray smoke and I idly wondered what was on fire.

Turns out it was a green van. People were out with fire extinguishers and aiming them at the engine though the hood was closed. I had my camera so thought I would snap a few photos. I went into the Goodwill to see if Heather (one of my former students) was working and to get the scoop. She filled me. Some woman came into the Goodwill yelling, “Does anyone own a green van?” There was no reply. So she yelled again, “No, I’m serious! The green van is on fire!” Some enormous overweight man comes running from the back of the store this time.

I did my good deed and carried out some giant good will plastic bags out to the woman of the van to put her belongings in. As the van kept billowing smoke, she had opened the back of it and started pulling things out of it. She had a great big heap and I thought she might want to have it some bags.

As I went into Food Lion I could hear the fire engine coming… almost a half an hour after the 911 call had been placed. (So I was told). I found my groceries and checked out. The ancient cashier informed me that they were getting the new registers put in this evening, ones with computers and conveyer belts and everything. She wasn’t sure she was going to be able to learn how to use them. I assured her that someone would teach her and that customers would be patient as she learned the system (Aren’t we all extremely patient for shopping at that Food Lion in the first place? The service there is extremely slow. And they are in the process of rearranging the store so you cant find anything bc it is on a differnet aisle.).

As I was heading back to my car the fire department was spraying the van with hose and banging on the hood with something. It appeared though, that the fire was out. I snapped a photo and went home. I am sure it will make the paper. Big happenings in Louisa. I feel bad about the dude’s van though.

2 comments:

  1. Never a dull moment in this little town! It is good you got to experience this one. Maybe you need to offer the newspaper your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaron and i are anxiously awaiting the report in the CV. that will arrive in 14+ days.

    this is my favorite.....: "Aren’t we all extremely patient for shopping at that Food Lion in the first place?"
    yes, yes we are.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!