Monday, August 4

Ag Fair

The Agricultural Fair is one of the best happenings in Louisa in the summer. Giant veggies on display, homemade preserves, the best cakes, crafts, funny contests, 4-H animals - showing and auction, and the best snowcones on the planet.

I had an orange creamsicle sshaved ice. Karrie had tiger's blood. When we returned to the ag fair in the afternoon, neither of us were feeling another one. And mom waited too long and they were closed before she got there.

Karrie accompanied me as I wandered around. I won two third place ribbons for some photos I entered. Mom won a whole pile of ribbons - first places and a few seconds for her naked ladies (or resurection lilies I was told), best old boot planter, some other flowers, and a baby quilt. Our timing was perfect for the judging of the best pies and cakes and as a result we were able to try the first and second place pies - key lime and strawberry creme. Yum. We also sampled a lemon poundcake. They also had a black chopper there - a real functioning one that you could climb all over and look at it. I know it was a real one bc I saw it flying around while I was running in the morning.

I didn't know any kids this year showing pigs, so Mom was free to bid on the hog of her choice until a lovely spotted pig entered the ring. Karrie and I waved to mom across the ring to let her know that this was the pig she should buy. It's name turned out to be Bonita, how appropriate. Mom did bid and won and now Bonita is off the slaughterhouse soon to be returned as whol-hog sausage. Yum.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds awesome! Kent County (Where John lives in MD) is very similar in it ruralness - and that is why I love it and want to move there:-) The pig thing is hilarious - so far removed from my suburbia life here in West Chester, but so awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!