Sunday, December 22

The fireplace

Ever since I saw the fireplace I wanted to paint it blue. I'm not really sure why, it's not that I've ever seen one, but I knew it's what I wanted. If the bricks were not already painted this would've never come up. I think painting bricks is ugly, but these were already painted maroon
I had picked out a few shades of dark blue (navy, cobalt, deep blue), but when it came time to pick, Aaron chose a slightly lighter shade of my top two blues and I think looking at the mostly finished product that it looks great.

I've not really painted a while lot, so I was a little nervous. Aaron actually loves to paint and is quite good at it, but he wanted nothing to do with painting bricks or the built in cabinets on the sides, so this was all me. Bricks are pretty forgiving, though porous and full of tiny holes, and because I was using a pretty old brush, neither Dad nor Aaron felt the need to give me a ton of painting pointers.

I enjoyed it and I really like the color and the way the whole room looks. I think putting the second coat on is going to be more difficult because it will be blue on blue and thus more difficult to see my progress, but I'm looking forward to one more project done.

While I painted the chimney, Aaron fixed a hole in the garage floor, used mud to flatten all the dents in walls to get ready to paint, and some other odds and ends, and Dad worked on getting the last of the stubborn wallpaper glue removed. Tomorrow is another painting day, trying to finish off some rooms, and start scraping the textured ceiling in the master bedroom (because I hate that crap. If it goes well we may scrape other rooms too). It is supposed to rain all day again so moving things in is being delayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!