Saturday, December 28

A little paint makes a big difference

The color scheme of this house was definitely warm tones of yellow and maroon. Not my favorite. Ok for others, but not for me. Plus it was a bad shade of yellow.

I hung paint chips at 511weeks ago hoping Aaron would make some considerations but he kept saying he had to be in the room to visualize. Whatever. I flagged all my favorite colors and waited. I chose chips that were "heritage" colors figuring that those were classics and to help narrow down our choices because there are literally five billion options.

Aaron and I are both fans of blues and greens but it is still tough to choose. The room that will be my office was painted first simply because it needed no other work and I chose two shades of turquoise. That one choice has influenced others... The lighter of the two shades ended up in the sun room and I liked the darker so much that it ended up under the chair rail in the dining room and kitchen.

I read up on paint in designer magazines (I love the Houzz app) and became a fan of gray as a neutral tone (there is a lot of white trim and tile so I didn't want white and I don't care for beige and the house was already yellow). I had several gray paint chips in the hallway awaiting decisions and Karrie helped decide. Aaron and I had picked one, but once I saw how dark some of my previous choices ended up (whole wall vs paint chip), I knew I needed to reevaluate.

The light gray is a heritage shade and it looks amazing! Check out the kitchen picture where you can see the original yellow on the left and the before and after hallway photo... What a difference.

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading these out loud to Ryan in amazement and remembrance of our own "new house" move in. The work you're doing is incredible and I can't wait to come and see all of it. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!