Sunday, January 16

Moving Shmoving

All of the stuff is finally moved out of my apartment, but truthfully there is still stuff in the car because I keep forgetting it is out there and that it needs to come in. Easy to forget because there is so much everywhere else that needs to be dealt with.

We moved three truckloads and two carloads of stuff last weekend which included my clothes so I have been officially living with Aaron in Culpeper. We haven't killed each other yet. I don't think that I have even thought about killing him... The drive to work has not been bad... there was a snow day in there and a two hour delay. The funny thing is I had a snow day in anticipation of snow on Tuesday and it didn't start snowing here until 7pm - thus Aaron had a snow day off on Wednesday and I had a two hour delay.

Aaron and the elephant spill.
the lid almost made it out the door.
The biggest mishap was Aaron's spill and ride down the stairs. He was carrying two boxes marked fragile - keepers of my elephant collection I had packed up in 2000 and had yet to go through. I had just finished telling Aaron that they really weren't that fragile when from the apartment I hear the loudest thud-jangle-bang-bang bang. Aaron slipped and slid down a few stops and the top elephant box toppled, opened, and crashed-banged-boomed. I ran from the apartment yelling to see if Aaron was ok. His butt and ego were bruised, but otherwise ok. I collected the bits and pieces put them back in the box and will worry about it later. I of course had to photo-document this disaster.

I did move some stuff on Monday, but not much. I crammed my car with kitchen things in half an hour in preparation of the snow day so I could bake and to get home in time to spend time with Aaron for his birthday. I also had to stop and see if I could get Aaron's birthday present because I hadn't had time to get it. Other than that I had not been back to my apartment at all. We had spent some time putting some stuff away during the week.  

Yesterday was the last day for moving. We are both ready to be done. While Aaron was sleeping in later than me I did some homework, some classwork, and made blueberry muffins. Aaron finally fought off the sleep monsters and we rode down to Louisa. Mom and Carol met us there and I put them to work packing up whatever was left while Aaron and I carried furniture and boxes downstairs. I was cranky and tired of moving. We finally crammed the truck and my car as full as we could and we headed home. I went thru Gordonsville to stop at the best bbq place for takeout.

Mom and Carol are the best. They dropped off some Goodwill donations and then went to the liquor store for more boxes and went back to my apartment to pack the rest of my things. This was so helpful because when Aaron and I got back to Culpeper we didn't have to unpack anything to have the empty boxes to take back. We unloaded, ate, and headed back to Louisa. Mom met us again and helped hold the bed in place in the truck while Aaron and I carried all the components down. We cleaned everything out of the apartment and then realized that the fridge was not empty. Oops. I need to go back to clean anyway so I'll grab it when I go back.

the last trip down
Mom rode with me and we followed Aaron in the truck. Aaron has really bonded with the truck and thinks that Landora likes talk radio better than the country I play when I drive it. It has been fun to drive a big truck around for a thousand miles (that's a lot of trips to Culpeper) except when its cold and the heat is not hot. Once the truck was unloaded we showed Mom around to see the slight changes since the last time she was here and to discuss the placement of some things and then she took the truck home. We were so tired we decided to unload the car later - that and the car can lock and the stuff is safe and dry. This is why it is still in there.

Anyway. I spent the day in the kitchen. There were many things in the kitchen that needed new homes and now they are there. Aaron tackled the bedroom because we were going to roll up the tan carpet and expose the lovely wood floors and put down a much smaller green rug we had picked out. Aaron was at first skeptical that less carpet was a good thing, but he is now convinced. I helped Aaron roll up the tan carpet, but after that I was banished from the upstairs. He wouldn't even let me help him wrestle the carpet down the stairs. It was hard to stay downstairs because there was a lot of banging and Aaron was making funny noises, but I stayed away until all the boxes in the kitchen had been taken care of.

Tired of being in the house and both in good stopping places, we walked down to the coffeshop and then down to the park. It's cold outside, but warmer than it has been. Plus the sun was shining and outside seemed way better than still in the house... until you reach the critical cold point. Then its time to go back inside.

the guest room - too much beige!
One thing I really wanted to get done today was to get my bed set up in the guest room. This required moving a really overbuilt heavy bed board. Aaron decided he was going to cut it in half with his circular saw. Unfortunately there are no electrical outlets on the front porch where the board had been unloaded. The board is so heavy and unwieldy that we had difficulty moving it anywhere. We spent at least thirty minutes looking for extension cords to reach from the far wall of the foyer out the door onto the porch. I found an extra long one but it was a two-holer and thus useless. Eventually cords found, it took Aaron less than a minute to dissect the big-a** board. It was much easier to get up the stairs... why hadn't this been done before?

the office - two desks, a couch, junk drawers
and a lot of books

the bedroom.
there will be doors to wardrobe when they are in stock.
I made cornbread to go with Aaron's leftover soup - a great pair. After dinner we cleaned up a few more things and we decided that the bedroom, the guestroom, and the two bathrooms look great. The office looks ok. The rest I am kind of embarrassed to take photos of. Well... the kitchen wouldn't look bad if it wasn't full of the trash and goodwill piles.

3 comments:

  1. why hasn't that been eariler?? give aaron a gold star for thinking of that. "Mom and Carol are the best" :-) :-) thanks! happy to help where i could. enjoy unpacking and making your house a "home"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The place is looking great!! We can't wait to come up for the official House Warming Party. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new place looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!