Tuesday, January 18

Back to NPR

I enjoy listening to NPR. I like the news, stories, jazz, and classical. Sometime in the past year, NPR reformatted my two local stations (to Louisa) so one was all talk and one was music and talk. The one I could pick up in my apartment was the all talk one and I still did not receive it well. This meant no more CarTalk, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, and Mountain Stage. :( I streamed them online sometimes, but it was not the same.

There is no NPR accessible in Culpeper. There is WTOP which is talk, news, and weather which is pretty nice as long as you do not mind listening to DC weather and traffic every 15 minutes. The two stations that are prevalent in Culpeper are a country station that is pretty good and a pop station that I can stand about 15 minutes of (Aaron loves it - you would not beleive the songs he knows all the words to. To be fair, Aaron also really likes WTOP).

This is my $7 goodwill radio. I bought this dated model because it has a longer tuning range in hopes that it would pick up more stations - which it does. Here it is with copious amounts of antenna wire to pick up more stations than the ones in Culpeper. Unfortunately this does not include NPR. Aaron has rigged a solution to my NPR withdrawal.

What gets me NPR is the fact that Aaron removed the top non-working record player, rigged some cords and adapters (red and black on left) so I can hook it to my laptop and stream NPR (WCVE is my station of choice) through the internet. You know some people pay Best Buy and such places hundreds of dollars for expensive sound systems. Aaron gets around it.

I have listened to a few symphonies, plenty of news, and I am currently enjoying jazz. It is incredibly satisfying to do schoolwork to classical music.

:) Aaron plans on getting the 8-track player (built in on this model (to the left of the tuner) working next. I have never heard an 8 track, but Dan bought us Best of Cher to test it out.

3 comments:

  1. I listen to NPR online, too. I usually listen to All Things Considered in the morning here right when it's available online. It's a weird time warp hearing that theme music that I associate with driving home from work while I make my breakfast. I used to make fun of my parents for listening to NPR in the car when they could be listening to top 40 COOL music. But now I love it. Guess I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listen to NPR on my short drive to work and it comes in from the Roanoke, Virginia Tech and Cville station. It's a weird, but nice, connection to all my VA friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried NPR podcasts? That way you can listen at your convenience. I am totally addicted to podcasts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!