Tonight I made up a new chemistry unit by basically combining stuff from three units I made up earlier and because it was just combining and editing, I have notes and a powerpoint in less than two hours. I even loaded this new unit’s folder with activities and assignments. Hooray! I needed to make a new unit so that I would match up with the other chemistry teachers for benchmark testing purposes. It’s nice not to be teaching something new.
After finishing this I joined Mom in the living room where she was surfing to see what was on our limited tv selection. I was surprised to find Aussie Rules on network television, but it is 23.3 our sort of international PBS station (where you can watch the Russian news at 730 every night).
The score is 86 – 56 and I don’t understand the scoring. I summed up Aussie Rules for mom – it’s like a cross between rugby and football but there is no safety gear – not even helmets. The game is played on oval field with 4 tall poles marking the endzone where you can score. From watching, we have deduced that you can run with the ball (an overgrown yellow football that’s bouncy), catch the ball, punch the ball, punt the ball or kick the ball – just no actual throwing. Keeping stats for these guys has to be insane. Getting it between the two middle poles is six points. And I’ve been trying to count but I have no idea how many men are on the field- at least a dozen each? (Holy cow! it's 18!!!)
I’ve decided I like this sport even though I am not sure of the rules. First of all the announcers are Australian and have nice accents. Second, the stands are packed and audible with their cheering and booing. Third, the uniform consists of a fitted tank and short shorts to show off muscular arms and legs. Some of them don’t look like they would fit in their uniform is they flexed. Fourth, because there is no padding of any kind, you can see all these hot guys in their sweaty athletic glory. HOTT. Fifth, these guys are moving constantly and no one is slacking – it’s like soccer on steroids as far as running around. Sixth, there are no time outs to kill time and none of these guys have pussied out and laid on the field waiting for a ref to call some sort of penalty – instead they get up and push each other around.
The only the annoying thing is there is constant whistle blowing from one of the five or so green shirted refs and wondering what the rules actually are.
So I have moved myself to the living room to finish a few last minute review games. And guess what… the game was followed by what else... the Russian news.
25 More Things
12 years ago
That's pretty awesome! I think that was also one of the few channels my parents got. I watched Equestrian events all of last week.
ReplyDelete