Tuesday, April 7

Motorcycle Class - I earned my M

As stated earlier, I have earned an M on my driver's license - and it will be printed there as soona s I gt to DMV because if you have seen it, I need something other than the zombie photo.

The mornings were spent in the classroom answering book questions, highlighting the answers, and watching pertinent and interesting video clips. It was not all that exciting because I had already read mom's course book, but it wasn't bad. I liked my mish mash group of other would-be bikers.

Lunch was ridiculously long and I took a trip to Old Navy and settled in at Panera, a fellow biker invited me to join him and my planned-solo lunch was nicely interrupted with good conversation about how we knew nothing about motorcylces themselves but we were going to learn to ride one.

The afternoon portion is learning to ride. 12 people, 2 coaches, and a parking lot. The class was about half no experience and half experienced, but half of those non-experienced people rode on the back of a lot of bikes and now just wanted to drive on their own. So there were about four of us that were at the bottom of the pack. I was pretty awesome at turns and swerves and every skill except going from stop to go. I suck at shifting which is something that will improve as I get more experience.

Day 2 was the same. Except the morning session ended with a forty question test - I only missed one. 98 Woot. I had lunch with the same gentleman again - this day we talked about traveling. Turns out he is the superintendant of Henrico County Publci Schools - and told me if I wanted a job to call him. He will be moving positions mid summer though.

The afternoon session was a lot harder and focused on how not to kill yourself - stopping suddenly, swerving, changing lanes etc. And also ended with a test. I was very stressed out bc of my inability to shift - whihc they kept telling me not to worry about, but i needed to worry about because i was going to get assessed on. I did pass the course test with minimal errors. I knew I could do better than I did, and my drive for perfection makes me angry at my mistakes.

However I have passed and now I need a lot more practice and my very own purple bike helmet and other expensive gear. (You dont really need gear when you are going less than 20 in a parking lot)

4 comments:

  1. congrats! just remember...we all started out that way...time, it just takes time, and patience...oh yeah...do you have any of that? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. helmet. please a helmet. james and i can share the horror stories :D congrats. If you need car-shifting practice, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! M is for . . . Mayhem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea! Congrats Kim, I'll be looking for more stories. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!