Thursday, April 3

becoming domestic (ahahahaha)

My morning routine is to get up, chat with mom, eat breakfast, go through some mail, and have a cup of coffee. I surprisingly have a lot of mail waiting for me (surprising bc i am paperless for all my bills and statements), but Kelley subscribed me to some magazines (that I do want to read) that I was not expecting and I forgot that I was a member of you a few things that send out publications.

Yesterday I made two apple pies (with homemade crusts too), a strawberry pie (gluten free for karrie), and maybe a strawberry banana yogurt pie (also gluten free). I think they were all successful - though no one chose my pie at church dinner until I made Karrie eat some of the inside to make me feel better (she did say it was good). I did learn that pie crusts shrink so I need to put more of a rim around the edge and seal the top and bottom together better. (please know that it took at least 15 minutes to get this picture to load on dial up)

I also researched composting (we already are collecting kitchen scraps since I got home and there are a lot of them considering my excitement of eating lots of vegetables!) so mom and I can start one. Everyone in Aus and NZ has a compost pile, so I have been thinking about it for a while. Plus mom can use it in the garden and it is not hard. How different is it to have a pile than the normal chuck your apple core somewhere in the backyard? We are waiting for Rich to tell us where he thinks the best place would be. This morning I went back through all the mail trash I sorted yesterday and shredded a lot of it bc I can and bc it is good for the compost pile as 'brown material' something we won't have as much of. Mom threw out some dying daffodils last night and this morning I reprimanded her for not putting them in the compost bucket. She forgot. It makes me laugh though bc I she's on board for this composting thing.

Today's morning goal is to sort through a lot of crap that I took out of my car and just piled into the living room. Always a fun day. I didn't start yesterday bc yesterday I had to sort through a lot of stuff piled in my room. There are still piles in there, but they are more navigable.

This afternoon, Mom and I are going to get a haircut after her hand appointment. Both of our mops look terrible. Karrie's stylist is either going to love or hate what she has to work with, but hopefully we will look much much better this afternoon.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of the compost pile... i'll start trucking my produce piles over to you. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Kim! Your pies look and sound good. I'm glad you have started baking already!
    :)Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and we haven't found our last 2 easter eggs yet, you did a really good job hiding them in plain sight!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. it was good pie! and be sure to tell dawn that you have a few eggs you cannot find...same jancaitis rules!

    keep sorting! empty that room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looking forward to a pic of the compost.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!