Monday, July 8

Rest Area Adventures

I hope all the photos posted because from my phone app I'm not sure and I don't want you to miss out on the armadillos.

Because we took the country highways across state lines I missed an important stop- the  Florida state visitor's center. I love to arm myself with maps and brochures because you never know what you'll need or find even if you have already made your travel plans. Since I missed it, and we eventually got on the interstate, we stopped at the next rest area but blew thru because it just looked like restrooms.

Aaron offered to stop as we approached the next rest area and we decided a little break would be nice. The first thing we saw when we parked was a yellow warning sign cautioning us to look out for poisonous snakes. They have these out west in New Mexico and Arizona, but I expect venomous animals in the desert. What non introduced snakes should I be on the look out for? I think all that sign does is inspire greater fear of snakes.

Off to the left was what looked like an observation point so after using the bathroom we took the winding sidewalk around the backside of the restrooms. The tall shady trees were humming with cicadas (just like home) and dripped with Spanish moss. There were also palms. As we neared the base of the incline I heard rustling under a tree and nearly squealed with delight when I saw three armadillos rooting around in the dirt. We quietly watched them for a bit and then walked up the incline. It was clearly an observation point , but for what? I-75? Trees? I joked it was the highest peak in Florida as we have a habit of hiking those, but Aaron said it was 324 feet or something and over near Alabama.

I'm not sure why this rest area has a nice path and an observation point, but it was a nice little meander and a good reason to stretch our legs. After we got in the car I made a list of all the wildlife in Florida I hope to actually see in the wild. What do you think should be included on the list? Maybe there was a poisonous snake at the rest area we just didn't see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!