Today we made the drive from north Georgia to central Florida. I had not been thru Georgia in years so had no idea what to expect in terms of scenery plus Aaron charted us a route along several country highways winding south. There really wasn't a direct highway or interstate route and on top of that we like the back roads (and it was probably faster).
Like I said I don't know what I expected but it wasn't so much swamp! Georgia has had record rainfall over the last couple of weeks so many of the creeks and rivers were swollen well above their banks. But the whole drive looked like it would have been swampy regardless. I can sight id cypress from a distance and know it's preferred moist habitat. I commented more than once that it would be treacherous to run of the road on either side because of the standing water or soggy looking terrain.
Instead of undulating monotonous fields of corn, soy and wheat, we saw row after row after row of planted pine, a few pecan stands, a few blue berry plantations, and more pine and swamp. Because the pines are often planted in rows it can be dizzying to watch them pass. I told Aaron that pines were the corn of the south and that this view was our cornfield equivalent.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks!