Today we went swimming with the manatees... Really. First we suited up in sexy wet suits... So sexy I had to trade mine in for another to better fit in it. Then we watched two videos about manatee etiquette. Sunshine River tours doesn't give you fins because then you can't stir up the sediment and you are less likely to kick others or kick a manatee (which I did kick a manatee among other things ( not on purpose)). It also makes you slower so the manatees can get away if they don't like you. We were also told to be passive and let the manatees come to us.
We went on a short boat ride into the bay and found a few manatees less then ten minutes later in front of a large house with a neatly manicured lawn. I expected more of a wild setting, but out we went armed with snorkels and pool noodles. Our captain and his small dog stayed on the boat and called out where the manatees were. We couldn't really see them unless they surfaced because of all the plankton and sediment in the water. I could see my hands in
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks!