Monday, June 1

Stride through Time - Richmond

Saturday morning I got up bright and early to head downtown for Anthem's Stride through time a 6.2 mile walk through most parts of downtown Richmond to see historic places. Over 2000 people did the walk - which made for a very crowded beginning along the canal.

We walked through a lot of historic districts and past many museums. Several of the museums and historic houses were open so I breezed through
~St. John's Church (Patrick Henry's famous 'give me liberty or give me death' speech was given here and Poe's mom)
~The Poe Museum
~The Maggie Walker House (a famous black woman who began a bank - also a national historic site)
~The John Marshall House (a famous supreme court justice)

Other museums that we walked by were offering discount admission such as the Holocaust Museum, the Valentine Museum, the Museum of the Confederacy, and more I cant remember. Periodically there were people in period costume standing around and wishing us well.

It was a nice walk and I thought very cool. Next time I do it though, I think I will wear one my colonial dancing gowns.

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how much time we've spent in richmond without visiting these places

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!